surfing in the caribbean

Nov 1st, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

surfing in the caribbean

friends of mine are looking to find an island that their 3 sons can go surfing...i know about hawaii but too far away for only one week as we are in new jersey...any suggestions would be great...thanks
Nov 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM

While not the Caribbean, you should look into Costa Rica.
Nov 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM

Exactly , Tamarindo , Malpais .....
Nov 1st, 2005, 07:07 PM

Hello joe555! I know the perfect island for your friends sons.The best surfing in the Caribbean is Puerto Rico and Rincon is where it is. Also Wilderness beach in Aguadilla is a great surfing spot.Rincon is on the West end of the island and Aguadilla is in the Northwest corner close to Rincon, about 11 miles. If your friends are not experienced surfers they should go to Tortola and surf Apple Bay beach and at Apple Bay beach a great hang out is the BOMBAS SURFSIDE SHACK. Puerto Rico has waves that are way too big for a beginner surfer. I have seen 40 foot ground swells in Rinncon before and that is only for an expert surfer. If your friends sons are experienced and good surfers Puerto Rico is your perfect choice. If they are not experienced surfers Tortola is your perfect choice. The waves in Tortola are not as big as Puerto Rico but Tortolas waves are very good to surf. 10-15 foot beautiful barrels at Apple Bay beach are not uncommon.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:04 AM

As well as Apple Bay on Tortola, Josiah's Bay on the north-east coast is good for surfing also.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:13 AM

In December and January:
West coast of PR
Long Bay/Port Antonio, Jamaica
Puerto Escondido/Pacific coast Mexico
far south Chiapas
Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:06 AM

There is also surfing in the Out Islands of the Bahamas. Elbow Cay in the Abacos has a fairly well-known surf break (the Garbanzo Break) between the Abaco Inn and Seaspray Resort. Also, there is a Surfer's Beach on Eleuthera.

Of course, the Out Islands are not for everyone, so your friends should do some research to figure out if their other needs/wishes are met here.