Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any beginner surfing in Puerto Rico in the summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Donna

Want to make an early July trip to Puerto Rico--my son is a beginner surfer--does anyone know if there is any beginner surfing there in the summer months?? I've read the Rincon area has surfing championships sometime, so I know that Puerto Rico does get 'surfable' waves. Kid is just a beginner--tried it in Hawaii and loved it, so I would like to find a Caribbean island that has surfing as well. Thanks

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:07 AM
Mike

I surfed in Rincon a long time ago. The waves are best in the spring. But that would not be appropriate for a beginner anyway. I would think there would still be fun waves on the Atlantic side of Rincon and near Aguadilla and Isabela. I'm staying in Rincon in June, but don't plan on surfing. There are some areas that could be dangerous (1st hand experience), so if you're renting a board, ask the surf shop for advice. If you're not stupid like I was, I'm sure it would be fine and fun. <BR>There is also surfable beach in the Dorado area, maybe Cerro Gordo, but I'm not sure off hand. I read it in one of the travel books, probably Fodors. <BR>I love PR and Rincon in particular.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:26 AM
rqf

I have been to Cerro Gordo many times. It is not good for surfing since there is little wave action except when there is heavy storm activity. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing anyone surf boarding at that beach.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Bob

The perfect place where you can actually take surfing lessons is at the Del Mar Surf Club at Encuentro Beach, between Sosua and Cabarete in Dominican Republic. One of the best areas in the Caribbean for surfing. See website at delmarcabarete.com. Nice resorts in Puerto Plata. <BR>Another island would be Barbados--North coast swells runs Oct.-March and South Coast swells season starts in Oct.-June so you would want to stay in the southern coast--Accra Beach Hotel or whatever. Rest of year relies on tropical storms and hurricane swells from the Atlantic. Batsheba Beach Barbados has nice size swells but for the more advanced. <BR>Puerto Vargas and Limon-beaches in Costa Rica are fantastic for surfing between Nov.-March.<BR>Don't know anything about Rincon.<BR>Not in Caribbean--good surfing in Puerto Escondido Mexico and at La Jolla & Santa Cruz California.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:20 AM
Bob

More information by using Google and typing in "Del Mar Surf Club, Cabarete"

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:30 PM
Pat

Good surfing in British Virgin Islands--Josiah's Bay and Little Apple Bay. Hotels by these areas are Tamarind Beach Club at Josiah's and Sebastian's at Apple Bay. These are in the Tortola area. You can find more information by typing out Surfing, British Virgin Islands in Google or similar.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:37 PM
Pat

Forgot the websites are tamarindclub.com and sebastiansbvi.com

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:03 PM
Pat

I just realized you were going in July, the surfing season is from November to March in Tortola. Maybe Peter Island would be good for Summer--you might find information online.