Reload this Page >

Sunscape Punta Cana Grand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Tiffany

Has anyone stayed at this resort? This will be my first trip to DR and these are things of importance:<BR><BR>watersports (especially sailing), clean room, decent food and #1 GREAT BEACH. <BR><BR>Adults only is a big deal to us but Secrets seems to be the only adults only resort in PC but I have read they have very rough water with high waves. We enjoy sailing too much to risk that! If you have any other resort suggestions meeting this criteria, that would be great. Thanks ahead of time!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:26 AM
parrot mom

Recommend you go to...www.debbiesdominicantravel.com. for the most comprehensive reports... e will be booking Sunscape ourselves.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:27 PM
xxx

Sunscape doesn't have a great beach! The view is including a busy marina with all kind of activities(peoples , boats, motors, noises , smell of oil...a shipwrecked...) and that part of the beach has a lot more sea weed than others...water there is calmer than at Secrets though !The best strip of the beach is the middle part.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Tiffany

I have been to debbiesdominican....I was looking for answers here. Thank you though.<BR><BR>So it doesn't have a great beach...that's good to know. So any suggestions otherwise??

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:35 PM
ParrotMom

&Aring;nother alternative is Catalonia Bavaro where we stayed a few years ago.. The best beach and water sports were at Casa delMar.he ideal beach.. Long stretch of white sand, palm trees and the turquoise water we all dream of.. Just avoid going school vacation week.. Have pictures of both resorts..

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:15 AM
scw2u

My fiancee and I stayed at Sunscape at the begining of this year and while we loved it, there were a lot of kids. Apple Vacations was really pushing it (since they had just bought the resort) and there were a lot of families. I didn't feel like the kids were in the way or obnoxious, but they were present. <BR><BR>We thought the beach was lovely if crowded (hard to get a chair if you didn't put a towel on one at 9am), but a 10-20 minute walk along the coast and you could find nicer, less crowded stretches, though with more seaweed. The best beach we saw was at the Catalonia. It seemed empty compared to the Sunscape. <BR><BR>As far as sailing went, we took a catamaran out a few times and had fun, but I would guess that this would not be considered top notch for people who really want to focus on sailing.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:08 AM
travelalot

To Parrot mom :Neither of the beaches you recommended are the best- Catalonia is a pretty resort but the beach there is the seaweeded part of Punta Cana ,and lots of rocks in the bottom , so is Sunscapes(same area), there are much nicer stretches of beach in Punta Cana ! And for Casa Del Mar in Bayahibe , while it looks really nice ,calm water , white sand...you'll find it's a dissapointing concrete underneath , man-made beach !

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:49 PM
parrot mom

What do I know..I've been to Casa del Mar TWICE...the water is gorgeous and the sand seems fine to me.. I'm not too much of a beach person...I go at least once or twice a day ....except at CDM... The Catalonia is really known for their great pool. As for Sunscape..well, it does have other things going for it which is why we will book it.. You do mention a marina and other things going on there...that is positive for us..For magnificent beaches I would recommend Bermuda...

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Karen

Hi we were in Punta Cana in late Oct/02. Would recommend the hotels in Bavaro Beach area from the Fiesta to the Iberostar as having a great stretch of beach. We also enjoyed sailing and found that only one day to be to rough but we were there in October so that would be expected. Not alot of seaweed, beautiful white sand and gorgeous Palms studded the beach. Depending on your budget there should be a resort inthis area that would suit you. Depending on the time of year you may not encounter to many kids, we saw very few at our resort. Karen

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:44 AM
nina

we stayed at the Fiesta Bavaro last June, Gorgeous Beach, very wide, brilliant agua water and lots of palm trees on the beach, which I love. This was in Punta Cana. My mom was at the Sunscape and was with us at the Fiesta Bavaro and said there was no comparison - Fiesta's beach was much, much nicer.<BR><BR>Other resorts nearby with beached almost as nice - The Paradisus and the Bavaro Princess. The Occidental right next door and the Hodelpa which is also nearby didn't have as nice beaches since they cut down all the foliage.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:46 AM
nina

I also wanted to add that waterports were important to us too and the Fiesta had by far the largest fleet of catamarans, windsurfers and sunfish. At least twice as many as any other resort we saw. There was never a wait and I got to sail as much as I wanted - 4 times one day!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
moi

Yes , I'd agreed with Karen, the best stretch of beach in Punta Cana is Bavaro , where Fiesta Bavaro resort is .To me (I've travelled a lot )Punta Cana is one of the best beach areas in the Caribbean - considering it's 26 miles long of UNBROKEN shore line of good to excellent stretches of beach !Bermuda has gorgeous beaches but more like small beaches ,coves , that you have to get on &amp; off the roads to get from one to another.If your priority is great beach with good water sports , stay with one of these hotels-Fiesta Resorts ,Barcelo Resorts,Iberosta Resorts ,or even the Riu chain(beach at Riu has a little rougher water ) Those companies ,each of them own 4 ,5 resorts one next to another , so they all have very loooong beach front for you to go wild with your water sports or any beach activities or walk...but never too far from getting food &amp; drinks from beach bars ,(or if you need to use bath rooms) because you're still in your hotel complex!Enjoy !

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 02:10 PM
moi

Sunscapes has been changing ownerships 3 times ,one of the reasons for them not to make it is .... the beach there is one of the worst in Puta Cana ! sorry....