Stray Dogs

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Arubabound?

Stray Dogs

Am considering Aruba for a November early December trip after Thanksgiving. Reading on other boards about the stray dog problems and that they are everywhere and a major problem. Mangy sick and aggressive wild dogs seems to be a major complaint. I don't mind stray animals but if there are packs of them running loose like so many describe I am hesitant because of safety. I don't care for animals especially stay ones bothering me on the beaches or chasing after me and so many people talk about it on other boards was wondering why not here.

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:27 PM
pam

That's an exagerrated report. We weren't bothered by stray dogs when we were in Palm Beach and Aruba Beach. When we were in Baby Beach, the guy who was renting the chairs had his dog with him but he wasn't bothering us or any other.

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Ted

Been to Aruba several times and have never seen a stray dog in the tourist areas. The "stray" dogs in the San Nicolas area are actually owned by the local residents -- they don't have the same laws and customs in Aruba with regard to pets as we do in the US.

What you are reading is a fabrication. The only place I've seen a "pack" of strays (a grand total of 3) is St. Martin, and it wasn't exactly a menacing scene.

Bottom line: If you stay in the Palm or Eagle Beach area of Aruba, I'd be surprised if you see even one loose animal.

Jul 18th, 2002, 03:18 AM
spikethedog

I have one of the those stray dogs and he is from the Spainish isle of Menorca. He is a wonderful little dog and I am grateful that he is mine. I got him from a rescue society, here in Germany that is trying to save the friendly adoptable ones. So please don't generalize the stray dog population, and if you do go show some kindness and compassion and give them a little something to eat, and a kind word.

Jul 18th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Susan

They do have a problem with stray dogs, but you don't see them that much. They are certainly not mean or aggresive.

We would take our left overs from the restaurant and give it to the dogs.

The only possible complaint about that is that you do feel sorry for them. It broke my heart.

But in terms of being a nuisance...Nonsense!

Jul 18th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Susan

Arubabound?

One more thing...if the stray dog bugs you, do the dogs and everyone else a favor and STAY HOME!!

Jul 18th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Arubabound?

Thank you Susan. That is exactly what I am deciding. Aruba sounds good but don't want mangy flea infected dogs begging for table scraps constantly. Had that once before and it was disgusting. I appreciate those who are willing to give intelligent answers than the troublemakers who live in this forum.

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Ted

Aruba is one of the best destinations in the Caribbean. To not go there because of some nonexistent problem with dogs would be sheer lunacy. Compared to so many other islands, Aruba is trouble free.

Jul 18th, 2002, 11:30 AM
xxxx

Susan, with your attitude, you're going to drive more people away from your "happy island".

Jul 18th, 2002, 11:31 AM
todd

Susan, with your attitude, you're going to drive more people away from your "happy island".

Jul 18th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Anne

That's totally ridiculous. Aruba is fantastic. I stayed at the Hyatt Aruba and it was beautiful. There was not a stray dog problem whatsoever. You may see some on the streets when driving in from the airport, but by no means are they hunting you down and begging for food. Aruba is a must!!

Jul 18th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Hector

Agree! I saw stray mutts, but they certainly weren't a problem at all! Her loss!