Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Statia could you give me some more info please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:58 PM
kep
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi :you have been very helpful with the info on St Martins/ Anguilla. We are staying at Maho Beach for a week in Nov./03.We are thinking of doing a side trip to Saba or St Barths. Any helpful advice would be great. Ferry or flying? Also any excursions that you recommend. We are also thinking about a trip to Anguilla. If we only could find time for one side trip which do you recommend. Any restaurants beach bars ect. Thanks so much. Karen
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM

Hi Kep,

Personally, I would recommend flying to Saba or St. Barth's, but I know there are ferries available, as well. As far as ferrying, it would depend upon the seas. With flying, you know the seas won't mess up your plans. Either flight is very short (15 minutes or less). However, both runways are an experience in themselves.

Saba is Dutch....very quiet and beautiful. No beaches, but wonderful people and much to see as you wander her quiet pathways. Windwardside is especially nice, and is the area I stay in when I go. If you are into hiking, this is the place to go. Mt. Scenery is wonderful. Saba is more eco-friendly than the other surrounding islands. I go to Saba yearly so I can recommend a wonderful guide for an afternoon tour, as well as places for lunch and wandering.

St. Barth's, on the other hand, is very French and "Mediteranean-like." Beautiful beaches, very chic, and very expensive. Don't let the expense put you off for a day trip....it's do-able. But, it's quite opposite of Saba. St. Barth's is a gem all it's own with much to see and do with her beautiful beaches and French flair.

The British island of Anguilla is VERY easily accessible from St. Martin. You simply take the ferry over. It's a quick ride and it's cheap. Anguilla is also very quiet has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world (Shoal Bay being my favorite). If you go there, take an early morning ferry over, catch a cab for a tour, then spend the afternoon with lunch on Shoal Bay (or any other beach there, as there are many beautiful ones). Then, have the cab driver pick you up at a designated time to return to the ferry bound back to St. Martin.

It really all depends on what you prefer...what island type, as well as which colony. Each island is so different, and has it's own personalities. I prefer Saba myself, only because I live here year round and Saba is so "Un-Caribbean" like. I always say it's like a true "Hansel & Gretel village." However, it really all depends on this:

Eco-Friendly - Saba
Chic and Elegeant - St. Barth's
Beautiful Beaches - Anguilla

Those are the words that I would use to narrow down my choices. I'm interested to know what interests you, and I'd be happy to help with more info....if I can.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:43 AM
kep
Original Poster

Thanks Statia for the reply. We are two couples travelling together very similar 10 yrs apart in age. We have been to many islands ,last yrs trip to Punta Cana was our friends first island adventure. So I thought that Saba would be great for them to see the flora ect. However , my husband is a beach person and we both love to visit the beach bars ect. We may end up doing two seperate tours, Saba for them (us too if I can present a strong enough case) and St Barths and/or Anguilla for us. We love to take photographs , small hikes, swim, shop and wander. Hope that helps , really looking forward to any guide recommendations restaurants etc. Thanks so Much. Also is Maho a nice resort? Karen
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:40 AM

I would say that two side trips would be a great idea. From the things you enjoy, I would suggest Saba and St. Barth's. You can fly or ferry to both. Anguilla does not really have any shopping and it's a bit harder to wander around, therefore, I think you would enjoy St. Barth's more.

If you want to email me directly, I can give you more detailed info on guides, restaurants, etc. My email is [email protected]. If I don't get back to you for a couple days, don't fret....I'll be in touch.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:55 AM
kep
Original Poster

Thanks will do. K