Notices

caribbean: where to go next?

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
caribbean: where to go next?

Hubby and I are in our30's and traveled to much of the caribbean, (st. john for a day, aruba, jamaica, pr, dr, st. marteen, dominica, barbados, brazil, hawaii and mexico.. Had a baby a year ago and looking to just go and relax (w/o baby).

We want beautiful beaches where the sand and water is clean clean and we can have a nice drink. Shopping is not important. Want good island food not american food that I eat everyday. Want to be able to go to a club/bar with island music. Would like to see some historical or intersting sights or just explore and/or be able to travel to other islands via a ferry. Nice people, clean island and no construction.

We are looking at st. thomas (did one day off a cruise and took a ferry right to st, john and loved it!) turks and caicos) and antigua. Heard antigua was dirty and consturcution all over T&C and st. thomas is like nyc. Any suggestion?

We are going either the first or second week in August for a week and own a time share so in t&c we would only be able to exchnge at either coral gardens at alexnadra spa resort. in st. thomas frenchman reef i think, have to get back to you on that). I hear there was construction there and don't want to deal with it.
When we went to brazil there was construction in our hotel and while I have no intention of sleeping all day, i don't want to eat breakfast in my suite (we cook) with a whole bunch of nosie, see cranes when I walk around and just be aggravated.

Help!!!
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Ike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cap Juluca would be my choice. If not then Malliouhana or Cuisinart. I was at CJ last spring. It's outstanding. Beaches are rated tops in the Caribbean. The food was the best I ever had. Better than Los Cabos, Jamaica, St. John, St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda and Bermuda. You can fly to SXM and take a private charter boat to AXA best way I found. Take a day trip over to SXM to have lunch and shop at Phillipsburg then head back to your resort. You will have fun. CJ is rated in top 10 resorts in Caribbean. So is Malliouhana.

http://www.capjuluca.com/

http://www.malliouhana.com/

http://www.cuisinartresort.com/

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would second the Anguilla recommendation, incredible beaches, incredible restaurants, great people and a total relaxed atmosphere, ferry over to ST Martin for unlimited activities.
also, if you decide on the USVI, you will be much much happier staying on ST John than ST Thomas, ST JOHN is head & shoulders cleaner and nicer, has better beaches and much more relaxed surroundings.
If you get bored you can always take the 20 minute ferry ride to ST Thomas for a day of sightseeing.

Dont rule out T&C, while there is construction going on you can still find peace & relaxtion at any number of resorts and Grace bay beach is possibly the very best beach in the caribbean and the restaurants are considered very good.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anguilla sounds like a good choice but I'm not sure if you need to find a timeshare. You might be able to trade in your time share at the Marriott on St. Kitts. The beaches are nice, but not as nice as St. John and I would presume Anguilla (never been there). But the island is undeveloped, you get a sense for the local culture, there are lots of beach bars, some very good restaurants, you can hike the rainforest or volcano, visit Brimstone Fortress (for history) and you can take the ferry to Nevis. It's just another option.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no timeshares in Anguilla-can't trade it.

My best recommondation would be to see if you can trade it anyway, Caribbean is hard to trade at last notice, so that may narrow it down for you!

Alexandra usually has about a 3 year trade waiting list, and Coral Gardens fills up all the time.

Other than a timeshare trade, for what you are looking for, Anguilla is perfect for you. Ferry trips to St. Martin, Saba and St. Barth. Anguilla has the most incredible beaches. St. Martin has a fort to explore.

Maybe trade with St. Martin, then day trip to Anguilla? (Do not skip Anguilla if you do this.)

Narrow down what you can actually get, then we can help more! 8-)

Old May 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well have to decide on three places first and then exchange. usually don't ave a problem if I do it now. Oh i forgot to say that we've been to st. bart's and anguilla also. yes anguilla is beautiful. just don't want to repeat right now until I traveled the world (smile)
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like Anguilla, and can do without interesting sights (other than gorgeous beaches) then Turks and Caicos is for you.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Moarroyo,

seems like you are looking for something very laid back. Why don't you try St. John Virgin Islands, it is less developed and more laid back with beautiful beaches. I was down there three months ago and I stayed at the Westin in one of their private villas which was the best experience I have ever had. I was surfing online then I saw this company that was renting the Westin Villas for affordable rates. I rented a two bedroom villa and it had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, private balcony, and so much more. What I liked most is that I had my own private villa and still had access to all the resort amenities. I think St. John will be the best place for your vacation. Let me give you the link of the company so you can get an idea of how the villas look.
www.omvillasstjohn.com.
Please let me know if this was helpful.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Antigua has many secluded, powdery soft beaches. The temperatures are in the mid-eighties in the summer. We just plain enjoyed ourselves there. There is a bar called Sandhaven that is set on a superb beaches in Antigua in Runaway Bay, with over a mile of white sand. You can just pull up a beach chair and enjoy the crystal clear waters. Indulge in one of their delicious tropical cocktails - waitress service right to your chair so you can completely relax. They have a daily BBQ Buffet that serves local and international favorites at very reasonable prices. In the evening they offer an a la carte menu with includes local fish and the best lobster in Antigua. The dining room is situated right next to the beach so you enjoy the sound of the ocean as you eat. For something a little more romantic, take in the views from the Upper Deck and Bar - sit back and enjoy the sunset during Happy Hour (5:00pm 6:00pm each day) when you buy one, get one free.
They have historical Fort James, Shirley Heights and so much other history and culture. Plus, you can hire a jet ski hop on and ride the waves!
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blamona I wanted turks and caicos until i heard about the construction.

I heard Antigua's beaches and the island overall was not clean. Garbage on the beac etc. Is this true?
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moarroyo- my husband & I are in our 30's too and have a 1 yr old we're thinking either Belize Belizean shores in Caye or Riu Bachata in Dominican Republic What destination would you suggest? Where looking for relaxing, beauty but not boring. Thanks!