Search

Starwood Hotels in Carribean

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starwood Hotels in Carribean

Hi..
I was just wondering if anyone has stayed at any Starwood Resorts (i.e. Westin, Sheraton)in the Carribean and if so where and how was your experience? We are Starwood members and can get 1/2 off our stay if we stay at a Starwood Resort for our vacation. So I'm trying to look into experiences at their properties in the Carribean.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM

We have stayed at the Westin in GC and would not book with them again. The beaches and water are beautiful and there are some nice excursions, but we would stay elsewhere.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Starwood owns the Westin on St. John. I haven't stayed at that property but there are numerous posts on this board about it if you do a quick search you should get all the reviews you'd want.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
MIG

I've stayed at the Westins on both St. John and Puerto Rico using Starwood points. I'm not sure I would go back to either if I was paying full price, but really enjoyed both visits and would happily go back to either.

PR Westin has a nice beach, is close to the rainforest and bio-bay, has good golf.

STJ Westin beach is man-made, but you are on St. John which has some of the nicest beaches in the world.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I've stayed at Westin St John and loved it. Quite true that its imported sand beach is not as nice as the numerous stunning ones around the island. There's nothing wrong with it, per se--it just pales next to the others, However, the resort itself is lovely, and service we found to be helpful and friendly. It's terrific for families, so if you're travellling with kids, you're especially going to enjoy it.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

We stayed at the Westin Grand Cayman and loved it there!! Great pool, beach, etc.

We've also stayed at the Westin and Sheraton in Cancun and had a great experience as well. Although the Sheraton in Cancun is being torn down due to hurricane damage.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM

My amily and I stayed at the Westin St. John. And, like everyone said, the beach there is man-made and eh at best. BUT, it turned out that everyone on these boards assured me that it wouldn't matter and they were right. Two-thirds of the island is protected US parkland and you have free or very cheap access to tons of fantastic beaches that have no resort hotel on them so everyone gets a crack at them. If, after searching more here, you decide that West St. John is right for you in all other ways, don't let the bad beach get in your way.