St Thomas for springbreak - Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! MY family and I are going to St. Thomas for springbreak using Marriot rewards . It was not our first or even second choice and I am having problems getting excited about this trip!!

Help - Can you enlighten me?

Any opinions on that Marriot or fun things to do with 11 and 15 year old children?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Book day trips to St. John for sailing and snorkling. It is much more beautiful, the water is clear and the ocean life, abundant
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Hi annesherrod - Our family is in the same boat... but for June (right after school ends). We have 2 kids... they will be 12 and 16 when we go. We too selected this vacation based on Marriott points.

I've been doing tons of research. We are going to be visiting St. John for 3-4 of our 8 days. So between the 2 islands I have a full list of beaches, restaurants, activities, etc. If you'd like to see what I have so far, give me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

We may take a day trip (via ferry) to Jost Van Dyke, and we're going on a combo. scuba dive / snorkel trip one day with a dive operator on St. Thomas.

One activity that comes highly recommended (on several travel forums) is the New Horizons II boat / snorkel trip to the British Virgin Islands (including the Baths of Virgin Gorda). We were planning on doing that, but then ended up being so intrigued by the BVI, that we decided to visit the BVI (Virgin Gorda) for 5 nights after St. Thomas.

Carole
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Curious, what were your first and second choices? St. Thomas is underrated in my opinion. Magens Bay is as beautiful as any postcard beach. There's a fun tram car that takes you up high for great views and a meal. There's Coral World which is fun for the kids, and the Marriott is a lovely resort which will be a great kicking off point to the endless amount of activities offered in the Virgin Islands. The Virgin Islands are fairly close and you can visit as many as 4 British Virgin Islands in one day with operators like New Horizons II. Additionally, St. Thomas is still considered one of the best international shopping spots. IMO, don't be put off by disappointment that you didn't get what you wanted first. If you imagine this is an opportunity to discover something new, you might look forward to it more.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to sound like such a skeptic...I am sure it is lovely. I am very grareful that I even have the opportunity to go!!

Perhaps it is my fault for not doing too much research,... which is usually half the fun for me!!

cawhite - I would love your lists of places...thank you!

[email protected]

Our furst choice was St. Kitts, second choice Curacao. I am sure ST Thomas will be a great vacation for us. I am intrigued by the day trips to other islaNDS - I need to research this a bit more!!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Hi annesherrod - I will send you that information tonight (I'm at work now).

We too looked at St. Kitts and Curacao initially. However, St. Kitts didn't seem to offer the great snorkeling / diving we were interested in, even though we did like the idea of being able to hop over to Nevis; Curaco had the snorkeling / diving, but didn't have the easy island hopping. We thought St. Thomas would give us the best of both worlds.... snorkeling / diving AND island hopping.

Carole
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Frenchman's Reef/Moringstar are beautiful properties. There is a beautiful family friendly beach with lots of watertoys, lounge chairs and umbrellas. The water is beautiful with a small surf rolling in. There is a beach side deli for snacks, drinks sandwiches, and casual dining at Cocoa Joe's, and the Sunset Grill more formal dining at Windows, and my favorite, Havana Blue. The cruise ships sail close by to dock at Charlotte Amalie, and their is water taxi service available for shopping. The Activities Center can schedule all type of day trips. Your family will have a blast.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info everyone!!

cawhite - I ook forward to your email!!

Anne
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Hi, annsherrod!
We are going to the Marriott in Curacao for Spring Break and will write a report upon our return.

Our family stayed at the Morningstar a few years back and loved it. We also used points which made it even better!
The beach at the Morningstar is very nice. To echo others...Have lunch at CocoJoe's and laze at the beachside pool. One evening, make sure that you are up on the pool deck of the main Marriott hotel to watch the cruise ships leave port...great pictures! For shopping in St. Thomas, take their water taxi into town and back...an experience in itself. Have lunch at the Greenhouse when there. The kids can play pool/games in the back. One day take a drive or taxi over to Sapphire Beach and/or Coki. If your kids still like aquariums, spend awhile at Coral World. Take a day trip over to Jost and White Bay (we did this on the Adventurer Catamaran from St. John) or with any of the other boat operators. Another day take the ferry across to St. John and spend the day exploring a few of their beaches (Trunk and Cinnamon are next to each other and both are lovely). Then, shower at Cinnamon and head into town for shopping and dinner. Take a later ferry back to St. Thomas.
I too overplan, but do not worry...you will LOVE the Virgin Islands.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Wow... great information! I'm getting really excited for our trip now too!!

Carole
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
tsl

cawhite - we too are headed to St Thomas Spring Break. Could you send me your list? It sounds like I am interested in the same things seeing our children are 12 & 9.
[email protected]
Thanks so much!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM

tsl - will be glad to send it later tonight!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

tjcm -
Thank you for your replies!!

We have been to the Marriott in Curacao. YOu will love it - The people there are so nice and helpful The snorkeling right outside the hotle is great. You can also rent a car right from their parking lot which was helpful~

WE are excited about St Thomas~~
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:25 PM

OK tsl - I just sent your information.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Hello to everyone who is going to St. Thomas spring break 07,
My 21 yr. old college daughter and myself will be going to St. Thomas for her spring break at the end of the month. (We are going to stay at the marriott for 5 days.)We have cruised there many times but only shopped a few hours then back to ship. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?
THANKS!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:34 AM

For fine dining, Havanna Blue located at Marriott Morningstar - Outstanding!

Lunch suggestions, Sunset Grill perched high on a cliff at Frenchman's Reef gorgeous view that will make you feel as if you are in a magazine 'photo shoot'.

Herve's high on a hill, just up the street from the tent shopping area in Charlotte Amalie. Wonderful cuisine and wine list with a magnificent view of the harbor.

Be sure not to miss the cruise ship early morning or at sunset, as they closely round the Frenchman's Reef cliff. It's a great photo op. You can check the names and dates of the ships arrival on VINOW website. I usually take a printout with me. It is not only interesting to know the names of the ships, but it is helpful in deciding when it will be less crowded shopping in Charlotte Amalie.

The Adventure Center has lots of daytrips. You might call them at the Marriott and perhaps they can e-mail you a list to help you dream and plan.

My favorite daytrip was a multi island BVI trip to the Baths. You will need to bring your passport. I did mine on New Horizans.

You and your daughter will have a wonderful time, and memories to last a lifetime.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM

Dianebridles,
Where do you book "New Horizans"?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM

sdwcruise - Here is the New Horizons II information:

http://www.newhorizonscharters.com/