Search

st martin crime--any tips to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st martin crime--any tips to avoid?

Hi all,

Headed to St Martin for part 2 of our honeymoon and I have been reading about increased crime and am nervous about that. Any tips? We are staying in Grand Case--I was hoping to walk to the restaurants etc.

Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM

take day trips to Anguilla and St Barts, much more relaxing places to visit with far less crime

if stuck on SXM, there's a thread on another forum that has good suggestions: http://tiny.cc/NrfXi
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Be aware of your surroundings- don't wear lots of jewelry- don't carry a purse- don't flash money around-only take the amount of money you think you'll need for your meal- carry one credit card with a low allowance- try to be with other people- don't stay our super late- in other words, be street smart.
My husband and I have been going to the island for over 20 years- we're now in our 60's- never had any personal experience with crime but have felt a little nervous once or twice. However, that said- we love the island and will continue to visit whenever we can!!!
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Will you be renting a car? Don't leave anything in the car. Don't go to Pic Paradis. Do avoid carrying a purse at night.
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

We are staying 6 nts in Anguilla and 3 nts in St Martin. I think we were going to do taxi's since we are not in St Martin long. Thanks for the tips. I just don't want to feel scared on my honeymoon!
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:02 AM

A rental car is a better idea for St. Maarten. All the best beaches are scattered around the island, and cabs are both scarce and expensive. Rental cars are pretty cheap on St. Maarten. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry. It's a lovely island.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM

I just spent a week on St. Maarten. We rented a jeep and traveled the entire island. Not once did I feel unsafe. I made sure to never carry a lot of cash on me, but I would basically do that anywhere.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM

We went to St. Martin on our honeymoon also a few summers ago and loved it. We stayed at Little Divi and are going back next summer. I would recommend getting a rental car and taking the trip around the island. It's not scary at all. Stop over at Orient Beach and Marigot to do some French shopping and get some ice cream. We didn't feel unsafe at all. You have to be aware just as you are on any island. Maybe more down on the Dutch side shops, but otherwise it's a good time. P.S.- CONGRATS!