St. Maarten - Dawn Beach

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Maarten - Dawn Beach

Hello all,

My family is looking to rent a house in St. Marrten/St. Martin and we might have found one on Dawn Beach on the Dutch side. I'm even confused about the listing. It lists it as Dawn Beach then says it is on Oyster Pond. Is this a good part of the island? Is it in a safe area? Is the Dutch or the French side considered "safer." I know safe is a realative term. Just looking for a little insight into the area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

T
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Can't comment on safety but there is a new Westin opening there if few weeks. also I think it might not be real close to the major towns, i.e. alittle out of the way. I think I heard beach is real nice there though.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM

It's a bit out of the way but a very nice area.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM

I just returned from renting a villa on Dawn Beach. What is the name of the villa? I can give you over view. Dawn beach is away from the action. You are about 10-12 minutes from Orient beach 25 from Marigot. Traffic to Simpson Bay and Phillipsburg is bad most times. The area is safe but lock doors on house and cars. We apent five nights on SXM last week returned 11/04. If you have questions I have answers.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks amrdia!! I actually just read your other review. I would love to chat you can e-mail me at ([email protected]) or just use this site? We are looking into a house that is a owner rental (drop me a line). It sits almost right on the beach. I am so glad someone responded because we are just about to book the trip and it is freaking me out that nobody replied. Here is our deal. We are 2 familes around the age of 30 and both families have young children so my biggest concern right now is safety. We don't really need the night life. We just want a relaxing vacation where I can feel safe. THe owner of the house said it is a safe area there are a few small shopping centers near the area but the big grocery stores were about 8 miles away. Are there restaurants in the area where we can get food so we don't have to cook every night. Any recommendations on places to eat would be great. Did you rent a car there? If so any recommendation on a rental place? What was the beach like. You said it was on the Atlantic side and a little rough but was it still okay for snorkeling and swimming? Was the Westin construction bad enough the it was loud and annoying? Every year we go on a trip some years with our old college frineds and some by ourselves. We have been to Hawaii, Tahiti/Moorea, Europe and last year we went to Mexico. I have to say that last years trip to Mexico was a bust. I am hoping this years will be better but can't seem to find any info on the Dawn Beach/Oyster Pond area. Thanks in advance for any info.

T
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I would stay away from the Dutch side as it is not very desirable, you definitely want to be on tne French side for it's beauty, convenience and stunning beaches....
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

What do you mean by not very desirable? Seriously, I need to know these things ASAP because we are about to send our money out tomorrow. Where in the French side would you recommend.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Sorry, I left to answer the phone, and i am trying to get the information for you. My wife and I travel frequently and St. Maarten is by far our favorite island in the carribean-we go several times during the cold New York winter months. "undesirable" meaning that the Dutch side is not pretty at all, not safe (this is where the cruise ships come in to port and there is a high rate of thefts, robberies etc of the tourists, many shady charcter that are constantly lurking, and not much of a police presence.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, if you have an info on a place on the French side let me know. Again there are 4 adults and 2 children (2 years old).

T
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:10 AM

Dawn Beach is on Oyster Pond - we know it very well because we stayed at Captain Oliver's Hotel several times in the past (very nice hotel), and you can get to Dawn Beach in a little boat in just 5 minutes.
We liked this beach a lot - sure there are some vendors there, but they are not bothersome at all. There are also a few restaurants - it's lively but nowhere near as busy as for instance Orient Beach.
As for location, if you look at the map of St. Maarten/St. Martin you will see that Oyster Pond is just between the Dutch and the French side. If you stay at Captain Oliver's the hotel is on the French side, the restaurant on the Dutch side!
Dawn Beach is on the Dutch side, just. But don't worry about that, it's nice and quiet.
Hope this helps!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Small addition to my post - if you're looking for a place on the French side I can really recommend the Grand Case Beach Hotel, close to the wonderful little town of Grand Case with all its great restaurants. They also have larger units for families, I believe.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:34 AM

I lived on Sint Maarten on the Dutch side for 7 years. It's beautiful & you won't be staying on the cruise ship docks or downtown Philipsburg.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

amrdia, you still there? Looking forward to your input.

T
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM

kc15
you obviously do not like the the Dutch side.
that's ok but your comments aabout the Dutch side are somewhat inaccurate.
there is cirme on both sides of the island. Oyster POnd/Dawn Beach is a lovely upper class area with luxury homes and villas.
philipsburg has been cleaned up and now is quite attractive.
there are pluses and negatives to each side of the island but it is unfair of you to point out only the negatives and to exaggerate them at that.
you paint a lopsided picture.