St. Lucia rental car (SUV) advice??

Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:34 AM
Marti

St. Lucia rental car (SUV) advice??

I'm headed to St. Lucia in November. Has anyone rented a car there? Should I arrange it in advance, or wait until I get there? Any recommendations on who to rent from? I just want 1-2 days in the middle of our stay to go exploring. (Yes, I know the driving is tough, we're OK with this and have done lots of foreign driving)

Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
anon

Depending on where you're staying you may be able to arrange this through the hotel. Just one option.

Sep 4th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Marti

Yes, probably true, we're staying at Sandals and they do offer this service, but I was hoping to save some $$$.

Sep 5th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Kay

Hi Marti:

My husband and I spent our honeymoon on St. Lucia. We rented a standard jeep from "Cool Breezes" and loved driving it around. We did not arrange to rent it until we got to our hotel. They came to pick us up and took us to their office where we filled out all the necessary papers and paid. We rented it in the southern part of the island and turned it in in Castries in the north. They gave us a ride back to our hotel and were really great people to work with. I do highly recommend Cool Breezes. Keep in mind the steering wheel will be on the opposite side from what you are used too and that goes to for the pedals, etc. and you of course drive on the opposite side. Before you go around a blind curve honk your horn so if anyone is on teh other side they will know you are there.

Sep 5th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Marti

Great! Thanks Kay! Just what I was looking for. I'll give them a call.

Sep 5th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Marti

Kay--just noticed your email address, wanted to let you know you were giving this great advice to an Aggie (my husband) ;-) Gig 'em.