Jumby Bay All-Inclusive?

Sep 4th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Kim

Jumby Bay All-Inclusive?

Hi, Anybody have first-hand knowledge about Jumby Bay in Antigua? Lots of questions: Besides the obvious things like trips and spa treatments, what's NOT included in the rates? Are drinks included only at meals? What about the inroom minibar? What are the lower-priced rooms like? Do they have tubs, or just showers? How are the watersports? Does it include equipment and instruction, or is that extra cost?

I'd love to get email addresses of those who have been there and are willing to write me about it.

Thanks!
Kim

Sep 4th, 2002, 04:54 PM
jan

Some of your questions are answered at the website: jumby-bay.com

Sep 5th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Christie

Antigua is a really neat island, so be sure and get OUT and see it! English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard are very well worth a visit, as are the parties at Shirley Heights.

Sep 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
penny

Kim, Jumby is now closed for renovations therefore the web site is now out of date. Not sure when they are reopening, and the rates have gone up (as I just inquired about the room we had this April), gone up by $100.
There is no real spa, but you can get some services. One is in the works. Su gives a wonderful massage, and does refexology.
Everything in included in the rate. Rum drinks, wine, mimi bar, water etc. No need to carry wallet or cash! And no signing!
Not into water sports, but there appears to be alot! The snorkeling off the beach is non existant, except for all the interesting starfish!
Most of the rooms have showers.
My only concern would be mid April on, the a/c is not very good, but the room has wonderful cross vetilation and fans!
As far as the lower priced rooms, all are now being redecorated.
Please feel free to ask all your questions. I will be happy to answer. If you go to caribbean on line, Antigua, look into the archieves in the past 6 months, there is a wonderful report with lots of info!

Sep 5th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Kim

Thanks, Penny!

Wow, so drinks are included all day (not just at meals)? The website was'nt clear. As you said, it's not really up-to-date anymore. Is additional tipping common (or expected) beyond the 10% service charge? Someone told me that the rondovals were "small and dark". Is this true? Are there any room categories to stay away from?

Thanks so much for answering all my questions! I'd be interested in seeing amateur photos (not brochure photos) if anyone has some!

Kim

Sep 5th, 2002, 10:09 AM
penny

Yup Kim you can drink all day! There is a beach bar, and beach service. Really very good gins, rums, scotch etc. Your
mini bar is stocked with a few cokes, water, ting etc.
The ronavels are large, have not been in one, but i think they are no longer the cheaper room. the whole resort is lovely, imho it did not need a big fancy redo, and I am not sure what is planned. The fabrics in the rooms needed replacing, some of the blind slats/shutters needed to be fixed. I know they plan to tear down the open air gym, spa as it really did not fit in with the landscape and no one used it!
The staff and service make the place very special. We have never tipped extra, and now I wish we had, as they truly deserve it, as they make everyone feel special. I plan to tip next time on my last night, the bar staff, Genny in the estate house, and Adelza at the lunch pavillion. i am not a fan of all inclusives, as I enjoy dining around, but I was never bored at this hotel. The past chef was very good, and I only hope it gets better. I know the hotel is owned by the island owners, and
now managed by Rosewood. I have heard they want the resort to be very special and back to the orginial 5 star plan!
Its a lovely spot, more like a private club!

Sep 5th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Lara

Hi, Kim:

As you've already learned, everything you mentioned in your post is included in the all-inclusive rate. It is a true all-inslusive and I do not believe Rosewood management has any plans to change that arrangement.

I stayed in a rondoval and would not do so again. "Small and dark" sums it up pretty well. Even with renovations, these problems cannot be remedied due to the design of the structures.

I have a trip report posted on Jumby (from last Dec) at www.caribtravelnews.com. Hope it helps.

--Lara

Sep 5th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Kim

Thanks Lara and Penny!