St Kitts questions for Statia

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Kitts questions for Statia

Well here are the first that come to mind - 1. we will be at the Timothy Beach Resort for 4 nights only (darn) - is it necessary to have a car? We really just want to relax and be low key, hopefully doing some snorkeling by the resort. We love to walk, and can walk to restaurants, etc. if reasonably close.

2. Husband would love to see the volcano but I am not in good enough shape for what sounds like a tough hike - any other options to get up there?

Thanks! (Does that mean you are on Nevis or is my geography wrong?)
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM

inthechips, I haven't spent a whole lot of time on St. Kitts, but I'll try my best to answer your questions.

I'm honestly not familiar with where Timothy Beach Resort is. If it's in the Frigate Bay area, then you probably wouldn't need a car. That's where we stay and manage just fine without a car for leisurely strolls and walking to some nearby restaurants and the beach.

Otherwise, we take a cab into town, or hire a friend of ours who does private tours. Be aware that driving is on the left there. If that doesn't bother you, then it might definitely be worth renting a car for one or two days of your stay.

If Timothy Beach Resort is not in the Frigate Bay area, however, I'm afraid I can't help you. You might want to post with a title specific to that resort because I see the name on here from time to time.

I can't comment on hiking the volcano there, as I've done enough of it here as to not care to climb volcanoes on many of my off-island trips. I would imagine that you can drive a certain distance up, but then will have to hike it at some point. I know they had opened up some type of cable car or train ride up at one time, but I'm not sure if it's still open. I haven't heard much about it in awhile, but it's worth checking into.

I'm actually on St. Eustatius (aka Statia), just north of St. Kitts. Nevis is just south and worth a day trip by ferry if you have the time. If you end up going to Brimstone Fortress while there, you will see "Whitewall" on Statia. You can't miss it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if you post again with specific questions in your thread titles, many Fodorites might be able to give you more info.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Now I know where your name comes from - looked it up online and seems your island is a bit quieter than some the more touristy ones in the area. Sounds like a great place and we should consider it as we explore the Caribbean. Travel is my passion and we are always trying new places. In fact, that's how we are ending up at St. Kitts - it was just thrown out there as a suggestion and we took it!

I know the TBR is on Frigate Bay so sounds as if that will be a nice location for us.

I won't be too heartbroken if we do not make the volcano trip, but my husband has a fascination with them. He didn't like the helicopter trip over Kilaeua (sp?) enough to repeat one over the volcano at St. Kitts however!

Thanks so much for your input. If I have more detailed questions, I will post them with the appropriate subject line.

Glad you managed to escape Frances' wrath there - the pictures coming out of Florida do not look good.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:02 AM

Timothy Beach Resort is in Frigate Bay. It is a condo resort directly on the Caribbean Beach. (only resort directly on the beach)Great snorkeling directly off the east end (left side) of the beach. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and you can get any info from the fine staff at TBR. You can also make any plans for tours or a car from the office.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Do you know aything about Timmothy Beach Resort ??
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Do you know anything about Timothy Beach Resort ??