St John, Virgin Gorda & Tortola

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These 3 islands are where I'd like to go... just deciding if all 3 in 1 trip is too much, OR
if 1 or 2 of these islands should be skipped?

Appreciate any comments..esp. from those who've been to all 3!

Looking for friendly island, lush, tropical beaches.. also less crowds, but that should not be a prob. in the summer.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM

I have been to all three islands. They all have great things to offer. Depending on your time, you should be able to see all three. You can fly into St. Thomas and take the ferry to St. John (about 1/2 hour). There are great eco-resorts - luxury-style tents sitting over the jungle connected by wood boardwalks - that are in Virgins Islands National Park. From there, you can take a ferry to Tortola (less than an hour). We stayed in Cane Garden Bay...amazing white sand crescent beach with a perfect bay backed by tall green misty mountains! You have to travel to the other side of the island to get the ferry to Virgin Gorda - but that ferry is only about an hour as well. The Baths are a must-see in V.G.!

We were traveling with kids. I don't know you situation, but we watched Travel With Kids Caribbean and it was great! Even if you don't have kids it might be helpful as it has video of all three islands on your list. You can get it at www.TravelWithKids.tv or Amazon.com.

Hope this helps. Oh by the way, we went in summer too. Great time to go because there is not many tourists there. It is hurricane season though, so be sure to get travel insurance. We did...and we used it! Hurrican Jeanne went right over us in Tortola, but we still had a blast!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

which hotel did you stay at during
tortola?
did you see mongoose or agape?

did you like virgin gorda better for the beaches? did you see guavaberry or mango bay?

also, where did you stay during st. john?

overall, which island would you return to again? or all 3?
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM

I think it depends on how much time you have. If you have 2 weeks, doing all three islands would be fine. If I had just one week, Virgin Gorda would be my clear favorite of the three.

I've vacationed on Tortola once and I liked my trip there very much, but I vastly preferred VG and will return there in the future.

I've never vacationed on St. John and except for its fine snorkeling, it's not a destination that's high on my list of islands to try. I'd just rather travel outside the US and pick islands with a stronger West Indian flavour. Just my own personal preferance, though.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Each has a different flavor, but I prefer VG for lack of crowds and great beaches that are easy to get to. Guavaberry is terrific and their beach is lovely and from there you can walk to two other beaches and you can swim over to the Baths. You fly to Tortola and take a 15 min.ferry to VG. Car rental is a plus as you can access town and other beaches and restaurants such as Bitter End and Little Dix to see how the other half lives (and eats....). Those are fun day trips.
St. JOhn is nice in that 2/3 of it is National Park and pristine, but the roads are a challenge and very hilly. Not really any hotels or cottages right on a sandy beach other than Maho Bay or Cinnamon campgrounds.
Tortola is a big island with all the pluses and minuses of same.
Sort of depends on what you are looking for and how much time you want to spend changing islands.....
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM

The best way to visit those islands is on a boat. How long are you staying? For a 5 to 7 day trip I would suggest chartering a sailboat or even better, a catamaran.

It is pretty unexpensive and lots of fun.

Check some options here: http://www.boatcaribbean.com/
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Stay on St John at Caneel Bay. It has 7 fantastic sandy beaches. You can easily day trip to Virgin Gorda, Tortola and St. Thomas.