St John Trip Report

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St John Trip Report

Uneventful flights down. We were in our room at Gallow's Point before 4:00pm. This was our third stay at GP and we will return again. It just works well for us. The ferry noise may bother some who are looking for a quieter villa type atmosphere. We wanted to watch the sunset from Zo-Zo's, but someone had reserved the entire bar. We then headed to The Beach Bar and met some locals who tried to convince us to relocate Finally to The Lime Inn for my favorite mussels dish, then early to bed as I had been up since 3:00am.

Sunday we made our usual pilgrimage on the ferry to Jost Van Dyke. Met some crazy partiers from TN who were on STJ for a wedding. Made for an interesting day. We claimed the Painkillers that one of my co-workers left for us on the drink board bright and early. We gabbed alot with Mic, the bartender at Soggy Dollar. He told us alot about the changes for the better since the new owners are there. We had some excellent conch fritters for lunch. Strolled down to Seddy's One Love to say Hi and see the cute kids. Ruben Chinnery was playing at The SD, so we got to hear him for a bit. He played a Jimmy Buffett tune for me. We had a silly fun time on the way home on the top deck of the ferry with the TN partiers. We were all singing loudly and badly I might add . Stopped at the Beach Bar for a few minutes, but they had a Jazz Band and DH doesn't care for it. Headed home and got China Shack delivered for dinner. We were ready to call it a day.

Awoke early after a good nights sleep and went to Paradise Cafe for one of their breakfast sandwiches, which we love. For anyone on this forum who might know who Lindy is, we saw him constantly. I threw part of my sandwich out and not a minute later, I saw someone pluck it out of the garbage and eat it. Guess who? The guy's picture was actually posted on On St John.com after it was rumored that he had died. After breakfast we went to hike The Lind Point Trail. Stopped at Solomon, Honeymoon and Caneel Beaches. I thought Solomon was a gorgeous beach with the three palm trees. Makes a great picture. We took a taxi back from Caneel and had a snack at The Banana Deck. I'll add here that we love The Banana Deck. Very good food at decent prices.

We went back to the condo and DH went out to the pool. When he seemed like he was gone a bit, I went out and found him to be bonding with "the boys". Several more people arrived and soon this was a "party". We called it the six drink minimum (meaning you must bring your share ), four lawyer maximum party. Way too many lawyers there . Other than this particular afternoon, that pool was super quiet. I think it was because the lawyers left the next day. Went to dinner at La Tapa, another one of my favorite STJ restaurants.

We had quite a bit of sun the last couple of days, so we decided to do a little more shopping. I can barely get my husband to go shopping at home, but he loves to browse in Cruz Bay. We love The Big Planet in Mongoose Junction. Had a light lunch at The Beach Bar and headed for the pool at GP. The pool was a not very refreshing 94 degrees. DH decided to swim a bit at Gallow's beach, but didn't have a snorkel mask. He was about halfway from the swim platform when he suddenly began swimming in very fast. At first I thought he was joking around, but he apparently ran into the barracuda that hangs out around the swim platform. It freaked him out a little because suddenly it was just "there" and I think it caught him unprepared as he wasn't actually snorkeling. It was pretty funny!

We then got an unexpected call fom Debbie from the TA forum and her husband Rick. They had arrived the night before and were in the lobby. They stopped by for a bit and we walked around the property. Had appetizers (mussels) at The Lime Inn for dinner and called it a night.

We are just lazy today and slept in. Went in to town for lunch at The Lime Inn. This time we were very disappointed with our food. The gazpacho was garlicky and I love garlic. The shrimp coctail was a mushy consistency and I actually sent it back. They did take it off the bill though. Have to give them credit for that. DH didn't like his cheeseburger either. Guess I will just stick with the mussels. Like I mentioned, lazy day today. We just spent the day at the pool and hot tub reading. Had dinner at cafe Roma's and stopped at Woody's. That place is always hopping.

We now have rented a Vitara and decided to drive around the island. We checked out some of the north shore beaches and drove to the east side. Made it to just before Vie's but decided to go back to Skinny Legs for a burger. DH loves a cheeseburger in paradise so he had to have one of these famous burgers. I have read mixed reviews about these burgers and also the sewage smell at Skinny"s. Well, I didn't use the restroom, but no sewage smell otherwise. We thought the burgers were fantastic. Piping hot, a little crunchy around the edges and yummy pickles.

I didn't add that I had a mishap wearing flip flops the night before and broke a toe and sprained the rest except for one. This was confirmed after we arrived home. My point here is that it is now difficult to navigate around much. The swelling just accelerated today. Ouch! We got carry out from Cafe Roma and I sort of parked it.

I'm trying to hang tough here as it is the last day of the vacation. We drove up to Annaburg and I hobbled (literally) around the ruins. Everything was so beautiful with the Flamboyant trees in bloom. Beautiful views from "The Balcony" as well. We went into the little National Park building and DH had some bread with pineapple jelly and we had some water. The weather was pretty much perfection except for one brief shower during the week and today, which rained heavily off and on all day. On the way back we stopped at Maho. It is a nice calm beach and I loved watching the pelicans. Are those noisy little white birds with black and grey seagulls or what? They get mighty vocal! We then stopped at Trunk, but no sooner got situated and the skies opened up. We waited it out a bit, but it didn't seem to be letting up. We grabbed a snack at Sun Dog Cafe for lunch. We later had a great dinner at La Tapa.

The trip home was the usual Saturday mess at STT airport. Won't get into the details of the always crappy day home. Well, we're still hooked on STJ. We will be heading back the end of November.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:31 AM
owa

Brenda, The ten of us are staying at GP in August. Would you mind saying which room you rented? Do you always stay in the same one? What did you mean by the locals trying to convince you to relocate?

Thanks for the report. Really sorry to read about your toe. Owa

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi owa,
We have stayed in 10 and 11C. Bldg 10 is our preference because it is closest to the point. My honest opinion is that if I were super nit picky, I could find a wart or two about any of the units. I have seen a few at a glance. It's just not enough to bother us. I will say that when I left last time, I listed the things in the unit that were broken and all were repaired/replaced. It was mainly an issue with the dining chairs.

Oops, better clarify. I meant that the (now) locals were trying to convince us how easy it would be to move to STJ. Seems as if a lot of younger people just "go for it".

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Ouch! Re: the big toe and the sprain!! Thanks for the trip report. I really want to go back to St. John. We really loved it when we went. Feels like it was ages ago.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Hi Brenandg,

We are renting a villa on St Thomas ...our first time. Some of our children (mid 20's) will becoming..Any advice on good bars etc on St John would be great...Also, does the ferry run daily to Jost? It is definitely on our list. Will Jost still have entertainment in November? What is the best day to go? Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Welcome back!

With the exception of your big toes (ouch! how did it happen?), it sounds like you had another great time on St.John. Do you have your return trip planned already?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM
owa

Thanks Brenda.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys,
Thanks for the symapathies about the toes! Luckily it wasn't the "big" toe. Think that would have been worse. I lost my footing getting off the back of a taxi in flip flops and fell. I think the toe thing on the flip flop added to the injury. The last four toes hyperextended. Unfortunately, I have broken toes before so I didn't think it was that bad. It was only after I started walking around that the swelling and bruising set in. The only reason I had the flip flops on to begin with is because I had a couple of areas of irritation from my Tevas. So, after the fall, I had band aids all over my feet, could hardly walk, and a skinned knee and bruised arm. Yikes! What a sight. I took my trusty Motrin and made the most of it. At least it was only for the last couple of days and at this point we had a car.

As for the ferry to Jost Van Dyke, it runs from STT and STJ on Fri, Sat and Sun. I believe it leaves at 8:00am from STT then stops on STJ to pick up passengers. Leaves Jost at 3:00 ON TIME. Don't miss it if you go or you will be pretty much stuck. Check out vinow.com for the ferry schedules. As far as entertainment on Jost, that is definitely hit or miss. No way to tell if some of the locals might be playing.

As for bars to go to for the 20 somethings, I have to admit, we are never out very late. Woody's seems to always be "happening". There is also The Beach Bar, Quiet Mon Pub and a couple of local spots. There are not clubs for dancing per se that I know of. The last ferry from STJ to STT is at 11:00pm.

ej, Yes I have the next trip planned. I had already planned on doing the annual week after Thanksgiving trip, but had no intentions of booking yet. I went to US Airways web site and found an acceptable fare ($490 on a holiday weekend from Detroit), so I grabbed it. We were only home for 36 hours! My husband then gasps and says, "Don't you think you should have checked availability at Gallow's?" I then did and was able to get the last upper harbor view for my dates. I guess it is not as far away as it seems. The addiction is bad . BTW, we hadn't taken any pictures yet, but DH managed to lose the digital camera!!! Luckily, I had a couple of disposable digital cameras. Better than nothing, I guess. I'm looking forward to your VG trip report and can't wait to hear about your villa.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Thank you thank you for the report. Alas, we have to finish working on a couple of big projects before we can even think about going back so any news is good news. I could practically taste the food at La Tapa! Sorry about your toes. Funny how many times I've had flipflop injuries and I still don't hesitate to wear them! Looking forward to your next trip and your next report.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

tux,
Escargot (lots of them) on puff pastry with some kind of cheese, beef brouquets on a stick, filet mignon with garlicky potatoes and green beans. Yum! Drooling yet?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Brenda- no lunch with the goats at Miss Lucy's this time??

Except for the flip- flop incident, glad you had a super trip. [no pun intended, well maybe just a little bit]
Debi
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Sounds like another great time Brenda! Thanks for the trip report! We love STJ and will most certainly return soon!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Oohh! The exquisite torture! So this is love... endless ruminations about myriad virtues until reunited with the loved one again... the cheese is probably brie!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Enjoyed your TR Brenandg...with all your trips there...you should listen to the locals who tried to get you to relocate!!
We met the new owners at Soggy Dollar when we were there in Jan. They seem very nice. Let us hang out and have coffee very early in the morning, we weren't staying there.
Can you email me sometime, I have a question for you regarding Jost...