Search

Memorial Day Mini-Vacation to Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memorial Day Mini-Vacation to Puerto Rico

Hi,

My husband and I decided, relatively spur of the moment, that we need a mini-beach vacation. Due to flight availability, timing, and prices - we decided to go to San Juan. I've just booked the air and hotel and need some help in planning the rest of the trip. We are well traveled, but surprisingly never to the Carribean (well, I lived in Miami a couple summers ago -- that counts right?).

Of note: we are in our low-30s, like to go out (but not really 'clubbers' anymore), foodies (prefer a mix of high-end and very local casual), and try to avoid tourist traps. We are looking to relax, but also see the local scene.

So far:
- Sat morning flight from DC to San Juan (arrive at 12:45); straight to hotel (the Water Club) via taxi -- picked the hotel because of its boutique feel, location at the beach, and supposedly nice bars. (most importantly - good package deal!)
- Sat afternoon: relax at beach and go out that night around there in Isla Verde. Looking for some good recs for lunch and dinner near here

-Sunday: Thinking about beach in morning and then over to Old San Juan for dinner/night out. Want to see the neighborhood, maybe drinks at the El Convento and go to a nice dinner (also happens to be our anniversary). Want to go out afterwards, but preferably places that have a high local-to-tourist ratio

-Monday: Hope to rent a car for just the day (is that possible?). Drive to El Yunque in the morning. Hike a bit to a waterfall and enjoy the scenary. Then, drive to the Luqillo Beach for relaxing and eating at the food vendors. Seeing that Monday is Memorial Day -- would it be better to switch this with Sunday? I am sure both are going to be crowded. Also, are there any interesting villages, beaches, whatever...to stop on the way to the Park and back from Luqillo? Monday night either in Isla Verde again or Old San Juan.

-Tuesday we have an afternoon flight. So, probably into Old San Juan to take pictures ( I like photography, but probably don't want to take my big camera out on Sunday night) or more beach time.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!!
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM

One tip- on your way back, the Luquillo exit from the toll road is not the one for Luquillo Beach (btw, the road itself is not on the map from Dollar). Luquillo is not great- muddy feeling sand and a really stinky drainage ditch. Unfortunately, we were on the way back to the airport and didn't have time to see the real Luquillo Beach.

Tamarind in OSJ is awful- one of the worst dining experiences I've ever had (food and service both), but we were looking for something local and casual.

Aquaviva was great- the decor's modern cottage, and that's a pretty good description of the food too. It doesn't seem like it melds well, but it was a great meal.

The Venezuelan restaurant was a fantastic cheap lunch. (Sorry, I'm directionally impaired- it was one street higher than Forteleza, up from where the piers end, to the left of the street with all of the vendor tents.)

And be sure to buy some Ron del Barrelitos 3 star rum- it's really excellent. The Don Q Grande Anejo pales in comparison. You can also buy it at the duty free store in the airport once you're through security.

Oh yeah- do not put ANY jewelry in your checked luggage. I had 2 necklaces stolen (first time I've had any problems, and one necklace had lived in my bag for 3 years). They were both cheap, but they were mine.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
leavingsoon

So glad I can contribute:
The place you're staying happens to have a lovely restaurant where you can dine with your toes in the sand. I would plan on just spending one dinner there. It's tiny and casual and right on the beach.

Try some local food at the amazing roadside stalls at L. beach.

Try to visit Ponce and its old fashioned town square for a real feeling of being far away.

If the El San Juan is opened up again, go for a drink and a dance.

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the food vendors at Luquillo Beach. My favortie is either the chicken or crab Pionono.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM
leavingsoon

Me, too!

I loved the eggplant wrapped around meat and lightly fried. I am still thinking of that- so yummy!

Old May 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Hi,

Your itinery sounds good to me. If you need info on the trails at El Yunque check this out
http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/place...ue-rainforest/

and for Old San Juan
http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/...n-puerto-rico/
and
http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/...n-puerto-rico/

as for food - in Condado try Ropa Veija Grill for Cuban and Puerto Rican
In Isla Verde try Miro;s for fish.

Enjoy
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:44 AM

You must go to Vieques, execellent seafood, and Beautiful beaches. for real puertorican El jibarito, Old San Juan and very resonable and very good.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I am getting excited!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

For dining in Old San Juan, The Parrot Club has my vote. Not only that it is an institution and my wife and I both found their food the most consistent. Tip: if you don't mind dining at the bar that's the best place to eat without a wait - they could get really slammed when there are multiple cruise ships in town. Aquaviva is also a fine spot but not unlike most places there they tried to be too trendy.

For watering holes we liked the dive El Batay (on Calle Cristo?). Barebones but lots of character. Baru is also good to chill out as well.

Also the rooftop bar at your hotel is also bar none. We had a great time there but be prepared to shell out top dollar for your drinks.

I don't know if you had been to San Juan before, but I am afriad to say that their beaches are not that great. Since the town faces north the surf is rough and for the most part there's a lot of seaweed and stuff that washes ashore. The stretch of sand near the Water Club is fine and definitely much better than Condado which is closer to town. Luquillo is supposed to be better - if not at least you could grab some good street food. El Yunque is worth your time.

If you have the car longer think about going to the Bacardi plant there.

I hope this helps!

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Vieques does not have excellent seafood. If you go to vieques my best advice is to bring your own food. Very hard to find food on that island. The cop recommended this place called Topacio which was a "seafood restaurant" but it was very bad. Bad service, bad food, small portions, and expensive. I would not go back. In San Juan, I recommend Bebos (there is one on Calle Wilson) and Bebos BBQ (exit Marginal Los Angeles off 26, lots of locals eat there, excellent food). El Hamburger in Old San Juan is good. You may think why should I travel to puerto rico to eat hamburgers, but this is a good bet, the burgers are very fresh and tasty. You may hear about Metropol in Isla Verde, but it was okay, not worth the price. I ordered lamb chops there and they gave me 4 tiny pieces which were really sinewy and tough. The tostones (fried plantains) were really good, though. You may hear about Lupis in Isla Verde, which was poor. The waitress had attitude, and this place was your typical tourist trap. I would not go back. Luquillo food stands--no good. Everything was fried, greasy, and just not worth the trip. The beach there was okay.