St. John - quick report

Apr 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

St. John - quick report

We went to St. John for snorkeling, hiking, and certification dives for my husband and 16-year-old daughter. After a crowded and chaotic arrival in St. Thomas and ferry ride from Red Hook (we kept hearing, "I've never seen it so busy!), we finally got to Honeymoon Cottage. We really liked this place, would definitely do it again. Snorkeling at Francis Bay (towards St. Mary's Point) and especially Waterlemon Cay - both just a walk away - were great. We also enjoyed the Reef Bay hike with the park ranger, she was a real character and added a lot of local flavor. The rest of my crew enjoyed diving, though I didn't relish all the trips through incredibly crowded Cruz Bay (this was a big spring break week I gather) to get to the Westin, where Cruz Bay Watersports departs.
We will go back someday to this gorgeous island, I'd like to try a few nights at Caneel Bay, and also spend some time in the BVIs.
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Hi rickandpat - Sounds like you had a nice time (other than the crowds!).

Our family of 4 (kids are 16 and 12) will be visiting St. Thomas and St. John in June. Did your family swim out to the Cay at Waterlemon? I'm just wondering if my kids will poop out. My 16 year old is a pretty strong swimmer, but my 12 year old is not (he's getting a snorkle vest or a flotation belt for sure!).

We've got Francis on our list, and have a reservation with the Park Service for the Reef Bay Hike too. How did your 16 year old like the hike?

Thanks!
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Cawhite,

We swam out to the Cay on our last trip to STJ.We have snorkeling vests.If I were you,I would buy some.They are great for if you get tired and want to relax or if you get a cramp.

Before you decide to swim out to the Cay check the water conditions.The day that we went the water was rough,thus the water clarity was not good.We felt that it was a wasted trip out to the cay because if the rough water.

I have heard that you might see hundreds of starfish and other things but must be on a day when the water is calm.

Have fun and enjoy beautiful St John!

Christie
Apr 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM

rickandpat,
We stayed at Honeymoon Cottage too! It was nice being away from Cruz Bay and being so close to Francis Bay.

cawhite,
Regarding Waterlemon, if you start at the beach, the swim to the island can be long, but you may see lots of turtles and starfish along the way. We walked the trail past the beach out to the point across from the cay. From there it is a much shorter swim to the island. We found the current to be going in a counterclockwise direction and we just floated and paddled with the current around the back side of the cay. Hope this helps.

Bill
Apr 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Quick question: am I correct that Honeymoon cottage has only queen size bed, not king? We'd love to rent it, but need a king.
Glad you enjoyed yourselves! (By the way, the snorkeling at Caneel is delightful. Even more pleasant than Francis Bay, imo)
Apr 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks Christie and Bill -

we may visit Waterlemon Cay this way:

http://www.calypsovi.com/dinghy.html

Carole
Apr 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I was a tiny bit concerned about the swim out and around Waterlemon Cay. As the guidebooks tell you, do hike to the point to minimize the distance. Actually, it was no problem for any of us that day since it was fairly calm, and there were plenty of people around if anyone got into any trouble. The fins help a lot of course. There's a spit of sand on one side of the island to flop onto to rest if you choose. We actually did that, then snorkeled around it one more time, but in the opposite direction.

The bed at the cottage was a queen I believe. You can call Terry Witham to confirm that. There is also a fold-out couch.

Of course our 16-year-old is not as interested in hiking as her folks, but she liked Reef Bay fine - especially when it turned out the other teen girl on the hike is from mid-Michigan (as are we) and runs cross-country!

And Bill, it was your report here that sent us to Honeymoon Cottage, we owe you!
Pat
Apr 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Thanks Pat!
Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM

My choice for sailing and snorkeling is

http://www.sailsafaris.net

They are great with families and couples because they only take small groups.
Oct 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM

We stayed at Honeymoon also. The bed is a queen size. We enjoyed the Reef hike very much. It is long, though, but I think our 16 year old would have enjoyed it. I had to go to St. John bracelet after the hike to get a petroglyph bracelet, which I love. It brings back the memories of that day when I wear it.