Search

St John car rentals

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St John car rentals

We are planning to bring our rental over to St John from STT. Is it true they only allow 4 wheel drive?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Four-wheel drive is not required in St. John - but it is nice to have! You obviously need to check with your car rental agency to make sure you can bring the rental car to St. John and if there are any restrictions as to where you can take the vehicle while on St. John.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM

We rented thru Budget at the STT airport. We reserved a 4wd but ended up with a Ford Taurus because that's all they had left. We were fine in the car - although I would have enjoyed a jeep more. Not all STT car rental companies insure you for travel to STJ so be careful.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

What do you mean by insure on St John. I was looking at renting thru Budget, but want to be guaranteed I get what I requested. How far in advance did you book? Do they have pickup and dropoff right at the airport?
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Noridog-

We rented from Budget at the STT airport 2 times and we got what we wanted once. BUT - both times were during February school vacation week. If you are going during a slower time I don't think you will have to worry about it. Last year we traveled with 6 families and 2 families got what they wanted. Budget seems to run on "Island Time" and they weren't too upset about not having the cars that were "confirmed" by reservations.

We reserved several months in advance - as soon as our plane tickets were purchased - but I don't think that makes much difference. I think it is whoever gets to the Budget booth first.

Having said that - the Ford Taurus was fine, and didn't prevent us from doing anything we planned but we find a jeep more fun and adventurous.

Some companies allow you to bring your car rentals onto ST. John and others don't. The Avis booth - located right next to the Budget booth at the airport - told us they did not allow their cars to travel to St. John. You could check to see if they changed their policy. It is my understanding if you go against the rental agreement by taking your car onto St. John you would not be insured if something happened. My husband and I didn't dare chance it so that is why we stuck with Budget.

One year we rented our car on St. John and had no problems but we prefer the convenience of picking our car up at the airport. We have 3 kids so it is easier for us this way.

Good luck!