St. John Activities Recommendation?

Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

St. John Activities Recommendation?

Hi there,

Just finalizing plans now for our trip to St. John at the end of Sept. and would love your recommendations.

Has anyone done the "Discover Scuba" course with Low-Key Sports in Cruz Bay?

If you only had 4 full days on the Island which activities would you recommend most? Here are my choice:

- Josh trip
- Baths trip
- Sunset dinner sail
- Which beaches - trunk, maho, gibney, hawksnest, others? (& what time of day is ideal for these.)
- Coral bay exploration
- Tour of the island
- Ruins
- National Park Hikes
- Other can't miss?

THanks!!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM

Snorkel, Snorkel, Snorkel. Trunck, Hawksnest. Early morning beach to yourself
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM

Where did you decide to stay? There is so much to explore on St John that you can easily be kept busy for four days. I would recommend getting a jeep for a couple of the days and just look around and stop at a beach or wherever when your want. I would recommend the book Feet Fins and Four Wheel Drive by Pam Gaffin. The jeep tours "on your own" are excellent.

If you were to go to one of the BVI's, what would you be looking for as far as activities? We love Jost Van Dyke for a great day of nothing but relaxing, but there is not much else to do. Who needs anything else in those surroundings! Virgin Gorda would be a nice day trip if you want to see The Baths Or, you could do some kind of a day trip with a few stops.

I would probably take a drive along the North Shore Beaches, head to the East End, then Coral Bay with stops along the way at your leisure.

I also recommend visiting Honeymoon and Solomon Beaches. We got to them by The Lind Point Trail from CB, but you could also start at Caneel and walk/hike in from there. Much shorter.

You are going at a time of year that many business' are closed. I will post a link to some of the restaurant closings.

http://stjohnspice.com/stjohnrestaurants.htm
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM

You really can't go wrong with whatever you decide to do on St. John! It's wonderful

That being said, here's what I would do:
- Take the Bath's trip. This gets you to explore outside of St. John and you get a great boat trip on the beautiful water!
- Rent a jeep and explore the island on your own.
- Hike in the National Park.
- Enjoy the beach! Hawksnest was my favorite, but really--they are all wonderful! Trunk will be really busy when the cruise passengers get off.

My second choices:
- Visiting the ruins. This won't take long if you want to add it in.
- Taking a tour of the island. The locals are very knowledgeable and we learned a lot more than we would have w/o it.

Have fun
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM

After a frightening experience with another dive operator in Key West, I completed my open water dive with Low Key Watersports and received my certification. They were wonderful in helping me to restore my confidence. Afterwords, some of my best dives have been with them.

Hope this helps.