Notices

St. Barths day trip info?

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Barths day trip info?

My husband and I are going to Anguilla in March and are thinking of doing a day trip to st. Barths. What rae the logistics of such a trip-- I know we would take the ferry over-- is it a long one? is it a nice ride? also, once you get there, how do you get around and what should you see for a day trip? Any suggestions are welcome! TIA
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't comment on the trip from Anguilla as we did the day trip from St Martin.

Rent a car or a moke and explore the beaches.

It was beautiful!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no ferry between Anguilla and St. Barth's. If yopu want to travel by boat you first have to make your way by ferry to St. Martin than catch a different ferry to St. Barth's. FYI - the ferry ride between St. Martin and St. Barth's can be rough (the nickname for the "older" regular ferry is the "vomit comet" - there's a newer high speed ferry which is a bit smoother ride but still can be a challenge for some people.

The only other way is to fly.

Once on St. Barth's you can either rent a car or take a cab to get around - warning individual cab rides can end up being costly - consider making a deal to hire a driver for the day and you'll save a little money as final cost will not be much more than a car rental and your driver will know the way around the island allowing you to see more in a shorter period of time.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Rent a car or a moke"

No more mokes to rent, they are pretty much collectors's items these days.

"there's a newer high speed ferry which is a bit smoother ride"

Out of the water at the moment, only the Vomisseur in service.

"consider making a deal to hire a driver for the day and you'll save a little money as final cost will not be much more than a car rental"

Not so I'm afraid, you can pick up a car for 50 euros a day, the driver's hourly rate would probably be around 20 an hour.

In terms of sightseeing, I would drive around the island then get myself to Shell beach or St Jean, and just plant myself for the day. St Barts is a lot more lively than Anguilla.

The Nikki beach is a really cool place for lunch with beds on the beach.

Your best option would be to charter a plane, St Barth Commuter at 600 euros each way.

An alternative is to charter a boat.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
RAB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winair used to have an Anguilla -St. Bart's connection - don't know if they still do. But unless you can fly, the time involved is likely to eat up so much of your day that it is hardly worth-while.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winair runs via Sint Maarten, no more direct flights
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just booked a flight between Anguilla and SB and it's a direct flight...so they do exist. Bummed there isn't a boat option.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are on WINAIR, it is direct, but not non-stop. The flights stop in St Martin if you look, you should see 2 different flight numbers.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We flew on Winair last year and we just stopped in St. Marteen in the way to St. Barts. We did not deplane. That is the best way to go...Also, renting a car is easy and quick. You have to check out the darling Gustavia harbor, Nikki's Beach for lunch would be great (try to make reservations from your hotel), and travel to Saline Beach or Gouvenour Beach. Be careful, and don't leave any items in your car. We have traveled to St. Barts for years and were robbed at Saline Beach last year. Someone stole our video camera, money, and some clothing from the back of our jeep. We normally would not leave these items in the car, but we never had any problems in St. Barts. Rent a car with a trunk and lock it! It is a great island!!