Search

A Day in Anguilla

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Day in Anguilla

My husband and I are going to St. Barts in February. We want to spend a day in Anguilla. Flight or Boat? Suggestions on the perfect day in Anguilla??
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM

If memory serves me right, you cannot get from St. Barts to Anguilla without connecting through St. Martin unless you go by private charter (either boat - expensive or plane - very expensive).

Using "public carriers" your options are to take either A) 2 different ferries, B) two different airplanes or C0 1 ferry and one plane. Because of the logistics you may find you'll doing more "travelling" than you'll have "time on island". The trip you are contemplating is more condusive to an overnight stay rather than a day trip. One more thing, the ferry ride between St. Bart's and St. Martin can be quite rough at times (it's nickname, the "Vomit Comet", is well earned).

If you do decide to make the trip, once you get to Anguilla, take a taxi to Shoal Bay East and spend your time relaxing on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean - there are several beach bars there where you can get food and drink. Make arrangements for the taxi driver come back and get you for your return flight/ferry.

Personally, unless you go by charter aircraft or are willing to spend 2 or more days on the island you'd be wise to forego a visit to Anguilla for another time.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:42 AM

it can be done. as the previous poster said, you have to catch a ferry to St. Martin first, then switch to another ferry to Anguilla. The ferry to Anguilla from St. Martin isnt too long, 15-20 minutes. the ferry from st barts to st. martin is much longer over 45 minutes. it was pretty rough.

we actually did it the other way. we were staying in anguilla for 2 weeks and took a day trip to St. Barts.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

We have been to St. Barts before and take the plane. It was great! Definitely would not take the ferry as I have motion sickness! I thought there was a flight from St. Barts to Anguilla? Sounds like it may be to much work to get to Anguilla. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM

At this time there are no flights between Anguilla and St. Barth. Would you consider spending one night in St Martin? I would suggest you take the public ferry from Anguilla to Marigot, and fly between Grand Case Airport in St Martin and St. Barth. Then take any of the evening ferries back to St. Martin, spend the night and return to Anguilla the next morning.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Oh, I am so sorry, I was planning a trip to St. Barth from Anguilla, not vice versa.
Well, you can do it the opposite way, then. Fly into Grand Case, take ferry to Anguilla. Come back to St. Martin (last ferry is 6:30 pm) for the night, and return to St. Barth the next morning.