Spring break without spring breakers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My good friend and I have been trying to plan a vacation for the end of Feb--the week of Pres. Day. We are women in our mid-twenties and we want to go somewhere where we can relax, and maybe do some water sports and some sightseeing. (A nice beach is a must for us.) I generally like to stay in 4- and 5-star resorts and because the Caribbean is so expensive at this time of year I was thinking of going to Puerto Rico, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. We are also considering Mexico. Our main concern is that any of these places might be overrun by spring breakers and kids who are off from school. Are there certain islands/resorts where there won't be spring breakers and lots of kids or is it impossible to avoid at this time of year?
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Look into the Plantation inns on St.Kitts and Nevis. All definitely 4+ stars. On Nevis, the Nisbet or the Montpelier Plantation Inn are sensational. Cheers, Richard.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:48 AM

Basically pick an island/resort that is relatively expensive and that will weed out the rowdy spring break crowd

On the three islands you suggest, you have to be selective, but as long as you pick a 4/5 star place you shoudl be fine.

As I am from Cayman, I would have to recommend our island, as we certainly have no problems with Spring Breakers.... and of course our watersports are world class

Happy New Year !

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 09:48 AM

You'll still have the families with children.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:54 PM
P_M

If it were me, I would not object to families w/children because at least the children will be supervised. What I don't like is being around hoardes of unsupervised teens. Been there, done that, never again.

I don't know where you live, but I thought that in most parts of the US spring break is in March or early April. I don't think you will have any problems in Feb. I don't know if this is true everywhere, but I've never heard of spring break in Feb. Has anyone else?
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:36 PM

Yep, spring breaks throughout the country run from Feb thru early April.

The sad reality with some families is the parents don't discipline the children and let them run wild. I've seen it over and over.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:44 AM

Some possibles: Maroma, Ikal del Mar
and other small luxe boutique resorts/spas south of/light years from
Cancun;also places like Zamas, south of Tulum, if more rustic/superb beaches.
In Jamaica: avoid MoBay/Ochie/esp.Negril and head for either Treasure Beach or Port Antonio.
I'm not a fan of the DR.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was thinking about Nevis, although I think it might be too expensive. A 4/5 star in one of the other locations might be better.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM

What sort of price range are you looking at (including meals)? Nevis's top-rated inns are expensive in February but so are just about every 4 and 5 star resort in the Caribbean.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM

There was a similar post about elders and elders on this board stood up for themselves and shut poster down. Kids however can't do so I am voicing my opinion for them.

So if you wanna go where there is no youngsters, oldsters, drunksters and pretty women - just stay home dear.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM

Beth23 made no mention of "oldsters, drunksters and pretty women" so I'm not sure I understand Ziana's point. I can certainly understand beth23's reasons for wanting to avoid a resort that's overrun by college (and high school)kids on spring break. Just because a person prefers to go to a resort that doesn't attract the spring break crowd, doesn't mean that they hate children or that their inquiry should be "shut down."
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM

End of February doesn't sound like Spring to me, so I feel she just wanted to stress out kids-free subject.
How is it possible to have "certain islands/resorts where there won't be spring breakers and lots of kids"

I did not mean to vent just happened, sorry. My kid (and her 4 friends) behaving better then lots of adults anywhere she goes, so I was just voicing my opinion.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:47 AM

I agree with you Ziana. There are plenty of supposedly mature grownups who act a whole lot worse than most teenagers. In fact, we've had more negative vacation experiences from loud, boorish, inconsiderate adults than from kids on spring break.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Just to speak for myself: I specifically want to avoid spring breakers and teenagers. I am from NY and all the public schools are closed during President's Week. And I know that means there will be a lot of high school and college students going on vacation. It is that type of rowdy "spring break party" atmosphere I would like to stear clear of. I have nothing against old people or young people.

In terms of price range, I'd like to spend under $2000 per person on air and hotel for 6-7 nights.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM

I dunno, going on vacation with kids and avoid them...try unafordable for youngsters places but then again...some go with parents who pays for it. Have you had a bad experience with teens or something?
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM

How about a cruise?

There are lots to choose from. I know atleast Norweigan leaves out of NYC but if you fly elsewhere there are even more to choose from.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Cruises...you kidding! all with special programs for kids?