Search

Spending money

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:36 AM
juj

Spending money

As a first time (out of US) traveler, I am wondering what is the best way to bring spending money. We will be going to the USVI's. I plan on budgeting $2000 for the week for spending. Cash/credit card/travelers cheques? What is easiest? What do all you experienced travelers do?

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Lawren

We bring a few hundred in cash. Mainly use the credit card and the ATM machines work just fine.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:50 AM
xxx

I would not carry much cash on me if possible. No matter where I go I try to limit the cash on me. I would use credit cards as much as possible or the ATM'S.or travelers checks. I have learned that lesson the hard way. I had many 100's on me and walked off and left my handbag on the check in security belt at the airport. (My own fault, I know) I was carrying a carrry-on piece, my hands were full, and just forgot about it till I sat down at the boarding ramp. Of course I ran back and security had it someone turned it in. A few 100's were missing. I guess they helped themselves to a reward fee. Lucky it wasn't all of it. I just feel more comfortable not carrying cash no matter where I go. That is my opinion.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:29 AM
travelagent

I recommend a combination of all three but use the credit card as much as possible especially if it is one that gives you miles. Good to have lots of singles for tips and taxis in cash and travelers cheques can always be redeposited if you don't use them. Cashing them is not a problem if you need to. ATMs are sometimes unreliable and the charges can be high.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:57 AM
cdt

We were in the USVI for a week and used a combination - credit cards when possible; took $500 in travelers checks (handy for an expensive daysail that didn't take credit cards); started with about $300 in cash (split between 2 people); used ATM's a couple of times.<BR><BR>ATMs are readily available on St. Thomas and St. Croix but you need to be careful - try to use them during the daytime and be aware of your surroundings.<BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Mary

I agree with Travelagent about having lots of singles. Often, cabs (in St. Lucia) didn't have change for fares so we often had to give them a much bigger tip because of that. Hmmm. Do they plan it that way? <BR><BR>Anyway, I also agree about using your credit card as much as possible. I'd bring about $500 in cash (depending on how much you want to spend of course). I felt comfortable keeping the majority of my large bills in my shoes, especially to and from the airports and hotels. Hopefully your hotel has in-room safes. That also eases the mind.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:47 PM
GM

I agree with most of the folks here, splitting it between cash/cards/travelers checks is the best.<BR>And in the USVI's, the ATM's were never a problem we found; you will be charged $2-3 bucks extra fee, tho.<BR><BR>If you plan on shopping for jewelry (like I do; the pieces are unique, duty free, right from Italy and less expensive than in the U.S.) the best prices are with cash, but the credit cards are a protection (always get an appraisal with your gold, provided free). Stay away from the advertised places; the shops on Raadets Gade (a street) are less and the 'same difference' as the main advertisers. See Danny at Dashing Jewels or Harry at S.B. Jewelers. Bargaining with the price is very expected; don't be embarrased.<BR><BR>As the others stated, if you do need the ATM, go only during the day, and watch your surroundings.<BR><BR>Have a great time, you'll enjoy the USVI.