Cash/ATM/credit card/travelers checks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know everyone has their own preferences, but I was wondering if you think Ca$h, credit cards, travelers checks are most CONVENIENT in SouthCentral AK? (or a combination of all the above.)
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:01 PM

I know I'm crazy, but I almost never use travelers checks anymore. I typically take a couple hundred dollars and then use American Express.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:59 PM

I've had several instances where I'm hyping 'cus I can't cash a T.C. So....like the above poster, I carry mostly cash (distributed thru-out my body and luggage) and a couple of credit cards. Been stung by the "no T.C." policy too many times for my liking.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:07 PM

We do a combination of all of them but with credit cards being accepted almost everywhere you hardly need anything else anymore.

I haven't found any place that wouldn't take the travelers checks. I tend to save them and only use them if needed. Most of them make it home and I keep them for the next trip. I like carring a few in my purse all the time.

Utahtea
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:46 AM

We only took $200 on our two week vacation and still came back with cash. Just about everything but tips and fast food goes on the Sky Miles credit card. If we ever need more cash we just use the ATM card at a grocery store or Walmart and get extra cash back. Saves ATM fees.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Dan

I never use travelers checks either. In fact, I now view them as "quaint."
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 12:25 AM

I usually just take a few hundred and try to pay with credit cards as much as possible. In the USA, there's no reason to carry excessive amounts of cash or travelers checks if you already have a credit card.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 03:52 AM

On our recent trip to South Central Alaska, we mostly used credit cards and even wrote checks at state campgrounds, but found ourselves running short of cash. However, we tried to use our ATM cards at an Anchorage bank on a Sunday and it wouldn't take them. We did get cash at a cash machine at a gas station. Our bank is a member of the usual ATM networks, so we were puzzled about this. And you'll find a place or two off the beaten path that won't take credit cards, mainly because they don't have phone service.

Just letting you know our experience so you can plan accordingly.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:07 AM

We take a couple or few hundred dollars in cash, and then either use the debit card or get more money out of the ATM. My parents used travelers checks a lot, but I haven't at all. If I were going to Europe I might think about it, but not in the US where cash machines are everywhere and you can use your debit card for everything. We NEVER use a regular credit card.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:16 AM

We use our frequent flyer credit card when at all possible. Had no trouble in Alaska. As a matter of fact, Anchorage's Sam's Club is the only Sam's I've ever been able to use my AA ff card.

Sent my daughter to Europe for a month with only $200 worth of traveler's checks, just for emergencies. She never needed them. ATM machines were everywhere. Of course, she didn't bring the t.c.'s home--they were burning a hole in her pocket!!

The only time I've had trouble with ATM's was in China. English wasn't an option so I had no clue what buttons to push.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:26 AM

I've never had a problem using small denomination ($20) traveler checks when traveling, but found local merchants who wouldn't accept them after returning home. But with the proliferation of ATM's and debit card terminals at stores, I most often make a purchase at a supermarket, KMart or Walmart & get cashback. Even when places charge a "service fee" I find it smaller than the ATM fees imposed often by both the "foreign" bank and my own bank as well.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:36 AM
GoTravel

The last time we used travelers checks was about 5 years ago when we were traveling outside the country. Even then, we only ended up using about $50 of the $500 we took so we don't bother with them any longer. We get a better exchange rate using either a credit card or ATM. Domestically we have always used cash and credit cards.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:32 AM

I got travellers checks once, long time ago, when they were free in my bank. I did not get it: you should use same caution as with cash, and in addition you sign them, you have to show your ID if requested. Not worth it for me. Since then I take cash estimating approximately how much I will need. Most of the payments will be made by the credit card. Some cash in small bills is needed for tips, occasional snacks, fast food places if travelling with children. I don't like to use ATM during a trip, afraid it maybe not safe.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I've heard too many stories in recent years of travelers check issuers not making good on lost or stolen checks. That, along with the increasing rarity of places that will accept them, has made them a non-option for me.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM
GoTravel

crys, that reminds me of an old Ombudsman complaint in Conde Nast Traveler. Seems a European gentleman had around $10,000 in travelers checks stolen out of his fanny pack on him and the bank would not reimburse him. The bank said he didn't take proper safeguard precautions with the travelers checks. I guess the bank has broad interpretation of what properly safeguarding travelers checks would be. Ombudsman couldn't do a thing for him either.