Sonesta in Anguilla- What happened?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago we had a perfectly pleasant stay at the Sonesta at one end of Anguilla. It was no more or less than what you might expect of the Sonesta name but the beach was nice and our oceanfront room was beautiful. Last I heard, it was being torn down. Any news? Thanks. Threehearts
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 02:48 PM

I have wondered about this as well. We stayed there and just loved it. Not too stuffy and on a beach with amazing views of St Martin.

All I could think about when I heard it was being demolished was them tearig up the beautiful tile work in the lobby and ripping out the pool and putting those wonderful people who worked there out of a job.

The Sonesta used to be a fancy North-African-style resort. It has been torn down to make room for a super-deluxe five star Anguilla golf complex.

Flag Luxury Properties LLC. is building an 18-hole, professional Anguilla golf course, complete with luxury hotel and estates. The course has been designed by world-famous golfer Greg Norman.

Anyone have an update?
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Diana. Sad to it go but that golf course sure will have spectacular views. Threehearts
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 03:33 PM

And you can buy a villa estate house just starting at $2.5 million to $8.5 million-Temanos Estates!
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM

Sad to hear that Sonesta will be replaced by a golf course. We had a wonderful stay there in 98. Our first experience in the Caribbean. Anguilla and Sonesta set the standard pretty high. Have not found another place that compares in terms of relaxation, beaches, restaurants, and good service.