Search

Sonesta Bermuda?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 03:04 PM
Cleo

Sonesta Bermuda?

I am debating on picking Bermuda for my next trip. Has anyone stayed at the Sonesta? I am looking for a place that is on the beach, has dive facilities and is pretty close to everything. Are shorts/shirts with sleeves allowed in the Sonestal restaurants? Thank you for any insight you can give me. <BR>

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 03:18 PM
Michelle

Debating? Do not debate any longer. We recently travelled to Bermuda and thought it was the most beautiful and friendly place we had ever seen. Besides incredible beaches, the people are really wonderful. We did not stay at the Sonesta but walked down to the hotel and looked around. The hotel is directly on the beach. I'm not sure about dive facilities or the rest since we didn't stay there. But I am positive that you will LOVE Bermuda.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 05:53 PM
Robin

<BR>Where did you stay? Have you been to Hawaii or any of the caribbean? How do they compare? Where did you eat? What do I need to wear?

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 08:17 AM
Michelle

Robin, <BR>We ended up staying at the Southampton Princess. We were originally booked at Elbow Beach but were so disappointed with the rooms that we left as soon as we could get another hotel reservation. <BR>Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of other islands to compare Bermuda to. I have been to Oahu many years ago but that was as a child and I don't think I was looking for the same things I am now in a vacation. However, I will tell you that all the other tourists we talked to thought Bermuda had the prettiest beaches they had ever seen (among Hawaii and the Caribbean). The only possibly bad part about a Bermuda vacation is if you are an extremely casual person. Bathing suits and very revealing outfits are only acceptable on the beach. Most restaurants do not allow shorts at dinner and many are quite formal, requiring a jacket for men. This turned out to be fun for us but may not be for everyone. We ate at Cafe Lido (on Elbow Beach), Coconuts (at The Reefs), Henry VIII, The Pickled Onion, Rosa's Cantina, and a few others that I can't remember as I write this. All of the food was fantastic. Post if you have any more questions.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Cindy T.

My advice is to avoid the Sonesta at all costs! As anyone who has priced a Bermuda vacation knows, it is very expensive, but worth it. When my husband and I went about four years ago, we chose the Sonesta over the Princess in an effort to save a few bucks (Sonesta was still very expensive). When we got there, my first impression was that the lobby area was poorly ventilated, humid, dirty and reeked of cigarette smoke. When we checked in, we were very aggravated to discover that there were no rooms with king sized beds or non-smoking rooms available despite the fact that we had specifically requested both through our travel agent and I had personally called to confirm this twice before we went. I might add that the staff were rather rude and unaccomodating when we complained about this situation. We decided to make the best of it and had the bell hop show us to our room. After a hike of what seemed like miles through dimly lit, hot, dirty hallways and stairwells, we arrived at a room that was budget level at best. After the bell hop left and we made a quick inspection of the room which was extremely small, contained two double beds, again reeked of cigarette smoke and had a dirty bathroom, I got my travel agent on the phone in two mintues flat and requested to be transferred to the Southhampton Princess (and this was before we even realized the air conditioner in our room was not working). Luckily, our agent was able to get us a room which was 100 times better at the Princess which was a lovely hotel. At that point money was no object and we ended up paying quite a bit more to stay at the Princess, but I consider it money well spent. A week at the Sonesta would have been misery at best. Maybe I would have felt differently if we had paid a bargain price to stay there, but believe me we didn't. Overall, the island is GORGEOUS and it ended up being one of the best vacations we have ever taken. Just thought I had to respond to this post since the Sonesta was one of my worst hotel experiences ever. E-mail me if you want more info.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:26 AM
abeloff

My wife and I stayed at the Sonesta this 4th of July weekend and loved it, except that lunch prices were very high (the price of convenience). You'll probably have your dinners at restaurants off the premises, anyway.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:37 AM
Tom

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon last week at the Sonesta. The short answer regarding this resort is DO NOT STAY THERE. It is not worth the price. <BR> <BR>The hotel is in need of renovation. My room (which cost about $400 per night) was poorly decorated and small. The hotel services were as bad. The lobby is decorated for the early 80's. The wait staff was terribly lacking and short-handed. My wife commented that the Sonesta staff are the least friendly people in Bermuda! Of the 3 beaches, 1 is worth attending. But because it is a mile from the lobby, it is not staffed as well as the others. The hotel should be embarrassed about the entertainment (usually a ridiculous DJ) and the condition of the bars (the "sports" bar compare to a small town tap). <BR> <BR>I am not one to complain about hotels because I travel allot for work and usually find nice hotels to stay in. I was fooled by the Sonesta brochure and a bad travel agent. When I think about the money spent I am sickened. I noted all of the above (plus much more) to the Managing Director, but have heard nothing in response. <BR> <BR>Avoid this hotel. I suggest the Southampton Princess (judging by the lobby, bars, pool, restaurants, etc.)!

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 11:11 PM
mike

Tom, I couldn't agree with you more! Many years ago I stayed at the Shouthhamptom Princess -- which I was not overly impressed either with but which WAS preferable to the Sonesta -- and made a brief visit to the Sonesta and found that it certainly, indeed, looked very, very TACKY -- especially in the style that you mentioned. Sorry your Honeymoon turned out that way. However, to compensate for the negative experience, why don't you make plans to stay at the brand new Ritz-Carlton on Grand Cayman next year (on 7-mile beach)? I'm almost positive that you will NOT be disappointed!