Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Somewhat silly, general travel question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in New England and I have a trip to Nevis and Antigua coming up in a couple of weeks. In the past I've only travelled to the region in warmer months (or I've traveled from Mississippi, where the contrast isn't so stark), so I'm curious what most folks do when travelling between two places when the temperature differential is so vast. I don't want to land in the Caribbean wearing clothing appropriate for 40 degree weather, nor do I want to hang about in Hartford wearing sandals & Capris. Though admittedly the latter is the better option, I suppose. What do other folks, paricularly women, do? Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 11:19 AM
owa

Traveling from South Dakota presents the same problem. We are going to St. John next week, and my solution this time is to Chico's "travelers" out of here and change in Atlanta for the last leg of the trip. We have to take a ferry from St. Thomas to St. John so warm clothes would be miserable. I've never used "travelers" before, but I guess I can stuff them into any shape.

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 11:24 AM
owa

Sorry, hit the post button before I could finish or go back and reread for mistakes. I just want to say that many times I "tough it out" which is to say I leave here in warm weather clothes after shedding coats, etc. in the car. From the appearance of other people in the airports, they are doing the same thing. Have a great trip. Owa

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 11:28 AM

The answer is layers.

I wear black slacks and a neutral cotton or linen top with a matching or black - always correct - cotton sweater (which you certainly may feasibly need in Nevis at the upper-elevation plantation inns on a cool night for dinner, or at the Sunday night Shirley Heights party on Antigua).

We load the luggage in the vehicle the night before and warm up the car before departure in the early morning. Then, my husband drops me and the luggage off at the terminal so there is no waiting outside in the weather for transport from parking.

As soon as we arrive in the warmer climes, the lightweight sweater goes into the carry-on, and I go on "island time."
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:04 PM

I leave my boots and coat in the car.
Wear khaki's and sweat top, put shorts and tank in my carry-on the when the airplane is about to land change clothes
before landing. Reverse the process going home.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 01:43 PM

I wear khakis, short sleeved top under a sweater on the plane, carry sandals in my carry-on, stuff a jacket in the outside pocket of the suitcase when we get to the sirport.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:36 PM

I live in putnam county in NY and travel to St.John in Feb. I wear tights/leggings under light cotton pants, and a tank or tee under a button down flannel/sweatshirt with a mid weight jacket to the airport. During flight I remove tights and sweat shirt into carryon. Reverse on the return. I keep tights/sweatshirt in carryon and put them on before landing in NY. Layering is the best way to go. It eliminates having to carry around a heavy winter coat.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:02 PM

Lightweight long pants, short-sleeve top plus a sweater does it. We also leave coats, etc. in car at airport - but this back-fired once when our flight to Boston was cancelled due to ice storm. After spending a day in the airport in Charlotte, got a flight to Providence - very cold during trip from there to Boston.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:21 PM

Don't leave winter things in the car! Just in case something goes wrong better to have it with you. Besides at least at JFK it's a long way to the car without warm clothing and what ever you left in the car would be frigid and you probably wouldn't want to put it on anyway.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 06:02 PM

I travel to the Carib frequently in the winter, generally for me I wear peal off type clothes and bring no heavy jacket...ok I get a little cold going from the cab to the terminal but oh well. In my carry-on I have shorts to change into whether its on the plane or at a warm weather connection such as Miami or San Juan. The rest peels off to a t-shirt underneath. Seems to work.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:50 AM

I usually wear jeans, socks, keds sneakers (that I wear in warm weather without socks), a sweatshirt with a teeshirt underneath and a light jacket I plan on using while on vacation.

While at the airport, I remove socks and sweatshirt.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:32 AM

My husband and I both wore the cargo pants that zip off at the knee. I then wore a tank top with lightweight cardigan. When you arrive, just zip off the pants and take off your sweater. Not the dressiest attire, but very functional. Advice taken about not bringing ones coat, but we did not. Didn't want to hassle with them and we were dropped off at the airport. A little chilly at times but oh well.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:10 AM

Yes, it's the layers that work the best IMHO. I like a tank, with a sweatshirt jacket over, and an all-weather sort of 3/4 coat over that. That way you don't have a bulky down or wool thing, but are "warm enough" should you get stuck somewhere cool. Plus having a sweatshirt and a water repellent coat with you isn't a bad idea, plus it doesn't take up suitcase space.

For shoes, I wear heavy black socks under black "walking" sandals. The socks can come off just before landing, and are easy to stuff in your carry on. (I like to wear the heavy socks without the sandals in flight.) Not exactly cover-girl fashion, but I find it the most practical and comfortable.

I just wear medium-to-light weight pants and "deal" until I'm able to change later. I don't like changing on board.

But I do pack a pair of shorts, one extra underware, toothbrush, toothpaste, bathing suit, and sunscreen in my carry on - just in case the luggage goes astray, I'll have my warm weather essentials with me!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:11 AM

By the way, EJ, have a great trip! I'm looking forward to your report when you return!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody! Now that I think about it, I usually get so cold on flights that I wear long pants with a t-shirt or shell and a cardigan anyway, even in the summer. I'll just figure out a pair of shoes that I can wear with and without socks and ditch the coat in the car. I really don't like wearing shorts, so changing on the way down in SJU won't work for me. I think I'll stick with long pants as I'd prefer not to be showing my winter-white legs to anybody.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:14 AM

I always take my raincoat with a warm zip out lining. That way if it rains on vacation you have the raincoat and on your return trip you have a coat to stay warm.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM

wantsomesun, That is a great idea about the raincoat. Duh! Wish I would have thought of it.