Snorkeling

Jun 1st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Snorkeling

The main thing we are looking for is an island that has snorkeling right off the beach some where in the caribbean or Mexico over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:52 AM

We just got back from St. John in the USVI. The island is approx. 3 mi. by 9 mi. with 38 beaches and coral that comes up right to the beach. Great snorkeling.
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:20 AM

Grand Cayman is great also for beach accessible snorkeling.We were just there in May.

St John also has good snorkeling.

Good luck!!

Christie
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:22 AM

Cozumel, Mexico
Akumal, Mexico
Provo, TCI
St John, USVI
Virgin Gorda, BVI

Jun 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM

I will top my GC photos for you if interested.Look for the title Christie's Grand Cayman photos.
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Grand Cayman has the best snorkeling of all the islands we have been to. The best area is on the North Side near the Cayman Kai area. The reef is close enough to snorkel to from the beach. Of course, you don't have to go out to the reef to see many fantastic things.
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM

PS. One of the Sea Lodges has a few pictures of what you can see right off the beach in that area. Goto http://www.sealodgical.com to check them out or goto http://www.caymanhaven.com/ and click on More Photos. In the big picture on their main page, you can see where the water changes color - that is the reef. I'm an avid snorkeler but not a great swimmer - the reef is still very easy for me to reach.

There is excellent snorkeling along the beach between the Sea Lodges and Rum Point. I believe there is still a Public Access area before Rum Point.

This area is our favorite place on the planet. You practically have your own private beach, the snorkeling is excellent, it's away from the busy tourist areas, yet it is convenient to restaurants. Snorkeling is so good here that my hubby has quit scuba diving.
Jun 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM

We stayed at Discovery Point Club on West Bay in Grand Cayman. The snorkeling in front of it was good and some of the best on the island (at Cementary Reef)is a short walk up the beach from Discovery Point. They also have a pool and hot tub right on the beach.

West Bay is quietier than 7 mile beach and is only a short ride to restaurants.

If interested check out their specials on this website: www.caymanvacations.com just click on specials and go down to Discovery Point Club.

Christie
Jun 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM

St. John gets my vote for best snorkling off the beach. We just returned from our third trip there and spent 2 weeks. I was still amazed at the abundance of marine life and coral everywhere around the island. We even did some mangrove snorkling which was cool too.

St. John. Fantastic.
Jun 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM

If you end up going to St. John. Waterlemon Cay is an amazing place to snorkel. Only downside is you have to swim to the island. It is pretty common that you won't find another person out there with you. Breathtaking!
Jun 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM

St. John gets my vote especially if you stay at Caneel. You will have good but not great food but GREAT snorkeling.Also, cost of Caneel is on the high side but do not stay in the tennis villas. Turtltle Bay or Scott Beach (1st & 3nd choice)at that time year becaue of some winds.