Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman or St. Thomas for better shore snorkeling?

Dec 18th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

I am selecting between Grand Cayman (Westin) & St. Thomas (Secret Habour) for the coming February vacation. Greatly appreciated if anyone can input which beach would offer better shore snorkeling as well as visibility. I know I can travel to other beaches/area for snorkeling but I am a lazy guy probably spending most of the time near the hotel/resort for snorkeling.
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Have been advised by two sources that we need to cancel our February stay in Grand Cayman because they are not up and running after the hurricane damage.
Sounds like things are still pretty bad there.
Dec 18th, 2004, 07:23 PM

St. John has great shore snorkeling and is a much quieter, beautiful island than St. Thomas.
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:13 AM

I agree with Meelz. St. John is musch superior form shore snorkeling. You may want ti check out Gallows Point Price wise, it may be in line with Secret Harbour. There are numerous white sand, clear water beaches on St. John that offer wonderful snorkeling. Two thirds of the island is a national park and is very beautiful

While Grand Cayman is known for world class diving/snorkeling, I have read that many of the hotels are not reopening until December, while on site working conditions. In addition, recently, there has been an earthquake. I have not heard if there has been reef damage.

In the article that I read also suggested calling the hotel in Grand Cayman directly, as opposed to the company;s reservation center, to obtain first hand updates.
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:46 AM

frankie, i stayed at secret harbor a couple years ago. never been to the caymans and did not go over to st. john. secret harbour is a really nice, quiet, small resort. nice beach. there is outstanding snorkeling right from the beach. facing the bay walk to the far right end of the beach, you will find great snorkeling!! we saw turtles every day, and an excellent variety of other fish. the clarity is very good.
Dec 19th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your reply. I have considered Gallow Point too but it is about US$100 more than Secret Harbour and probably I have to drive to other places for snorkeling (though there is also access to the sea for snorkeling in front of the Gallow Point but I am concerning the boat traffic near the harbour and there is no beach there). I just want to lay on the beach and do some snorkeling most of the time and that's why I choose between Secret Habrour & Westin Grand Cayman. Wondering if there is anyone staying at both places and offer some inputs on the shore snorkeling quality for my reference.

I also noted the earthquake near Grand Cayman but it seems not much damage is caused.

Frankie808
Dec 20th, 2004, 02:35 AM

We have stayed at the Westin in Grand Cayman and there was snorkeling there and not far from there within swimming or walking distance- think it was called "Cemetary Reef". Don't know what the hurricane did there to change anything regarding snorkeling.
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:16 AM

http://www.caymanvacations.com/ Check this website - up at the top of the home page is an Ivan update. This might help with your planning - lists all condos and re-opening dates. Our favorite is Treasure Island and it has snorkeling right in front of the condos, but they aren't opening back up until April 2005.