Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Single traveler seeks quiet beaches....Bahama out islands?

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've stumbled onto a secret. It looks like some of the out islands of the Bahamas may be paradise for someone such as myself looking for a de-stress vacation. I'd be traveling alone so I'm curious about specific recommendations for a safe, not too pricey (under $200/nite)fairly accessable cay where I can spend days snorkeling, reading and walking. I'm also wondering how much you spent on airfares/ferries and transfers.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Try Elbow Cay in the Abacos. Stay in a cottage or a small inn on or near the spectacular beaches (Hopetown Harbour Lodge, Abaco Inn, Seaspray) -- none of these places should set you back too much. Hopetown is great for walking, both on the beach and through town. You can have solitude if you prefer, but also meet people and socialize -- in a very low key way -- at the handful of restaurants and bars in the area. You can snorkel right off the beach.

On my various trips to the Abacos from the East Coast, the air fare was in the $400-$450 range, round trip on American Airlines (through Miami to Marsh Harbour (MHH), Great Abaco). From Marsh Harbour, ferries from Marsh to Elbow Cay are about $8-$10. From Marsh Harbour, you can also ferry to Man-O-War and Great Guana Cays -- also worth exploring.

If I were ever to travel solo in the islands, this is the first place I would choose. Not only do the Abacos meet your specific criteria, but I have never felt safer anywhere.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:33 AM

I would suggest Cat Island. We stayed at the Hawks Nest Resort & Marina, which we loved. Some actor from a soap opera was there with his girlfriend, and another guy traveling solo from Massachusetts. I think it is the perfect place to unwind, and not worry about feeling "awkward" traveling by oneself. The resort managers, Brian and Jennifer, are fantastic. They know enough when to leave people alone or when to strike up a conversation. The rooms are well-appointed, AC and each has a private patio. TV's with built-in VCR's (there is a video library) but no TV per se. No telephones in the rooms. We were never so relaxed in all our lives. There are several beaches that dot the resort (sounds fancy but it is not!), and the opportunities for solitude and quiet abound. Fantastic snorkeling all around. The resort is made up of 400 acres, so there is plenty of walking you can do. Also, they have kayaks available for the tidal river, which empties out onto one of the most secluded beaches anywhere. The staff will pack up a picnic lunch for you. The island is easy to get around if you are interested in renting a car and exploring. If not, Jennifer or Brian will pick you up at the "international" airport or meet you at the resort's private airstrip, if you choose to charter a flight. Check it out. I frequently fantatize about returning to Hawks Nest by myself. IMO, it is one of the best kept secrets of the Bahamas. 8-)
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Please excuse the "fantasize" typo. Another thought on Cat Island, if I may: we have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and never felt more welcome than by the locals on this island. While driving around one day, we came upon some locals hauling in their catch of the day. I jumped out of the car, asked if I could take photos of them and their haul and spent a wonderful hour with them. No reason to be concerned for safety on Cat Island. Good luck in your search.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses! How would you describe Elbow and Cat cay? Would I see lots of greenery or mostly scrub?
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:47 AM

Hi Jette! Cat Island is not arid like Aruba, but it is not lush like St. John. Somewhere between the two. Scenic wise it is not the most beautiful, but its beaches are great and is home to the highest point in the Bahamas! Our best snorkeling experiences were here, and we have snorkeled all over the Caribbean. Hawks Nest Resort's landscaping is not manicured like you would find at a Four Seasons or big chain resort. But it is pleasant. It is the seclusion that is a draw for us. Each beach has a hut, table, chairs and lounge chairs, so you don't have to lug anything around. They do have bikes and/or golf carts (I think they charge for those now) so you can get around the premises easily. Or you can walk. It is very small - only 12 rooms and one house that can be rented. We've been to Anegada (northernmost of the BVI's and another great "get away from it all" place), Anguilla, Aruba, Turks & Caicos, Cayman, and others, but I never felt more relaxed than on Cat Island. If I can answer any other questions, I would be more than happy.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:13 AM

Like Cat Island, Elbow Cay is not lush, but it is green -- casuarina pines, palms, sea grapes. It's not especially high ground, as the islands are coral/limestone in origin as opposed to volcanic. The key is the amazing beaches and the unbelievable waters. Elbow Cay does have the charming town of Hopetown, which is a small village (no cars allowed) with dozens of sweet, pastel painted houses (many in Cape Cod style). There is a candy-striped lighthouse to top it off. At the south end of the cay is Tahiti Beach, which is aptly named because of its large stands of palms edging the beautiful beach. You can see photos at www.go-abacos.com and www.oii.net (and try the message board -- go through either oii.net or go directly to www.coconuttelegraph.com).

Cat Island is actually my next destination, so I'm enjoying hearing about it here (84 more daze...).
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the great info. They both sound perfect and I don't know how I'll decide. So little vacation time....so many places to see!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Callaloo: I hope you enjoy Cat Island as much as we did. We absolutely fell in love with its ambiance, locals and beaches. Have a fantastic trip and I look forward to reading a report upon your return.

Jette: Yes, so many places, so little vacation time. But we just start planning our next trip as soon as we get back from one - or even start planning the next trip while still on holiday. In fact, it was on Cat Island in October 2001 that we decided to go to Kenya and Tanzania for our next "big" vacation, which we did in September 2002. In the meantime, we managed to squeeze in a trip to Anguilla and an "adult" getaway to Orlando, Florida to just have some child-like fun. Good luck with your decision. Wherever you decide to go, have a wonderful time.