Should I take this trip

Search

Should I take this trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I take this trip

I just saw a special on the web for Jamaica travel and I called and booked it (9/3/05 -- 9/10/05). However, I then realized that it's the hurrican season at that time. I know an accurate prediction is impossible, but can you seasoned travellers let me know if it's more likely than not we'll be experiencing rain (if not hurrican itself)the whole time and get stuck in the hotel and can't do anything? And are hurrican also more likely than not during that time? Last question, the hotel they had special on is Couples Negril, is it a great hotel? I mean, it's a good deal for that hotel (the special is $120 per night per person, all inclusive including scuba diving), but it's still really expensive for us. I would hate to not having a great time there. Thanks in advance for your kind reply. I really want to hear some expert advise before I pay for this (also, the insurance for canceling the trip is about $100 per person, is it worth it?)
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM

You're worried about spending too much money and not enjoying yourself because of a hurricane, but considering not getting the insurance because it costs too much?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

JungleBride, even as I was typing, I see that the travel insurance is probably a good thing for the peace of mind it'll give me from now until then. so thanks for pointing that out. But really, I am more worried about hurrican and rain ruining a good time. We are interested by this deal because it includes scuba diving and heavy rain or hurrican would ruin that. Even if we can cancle at the last minute and not loose money, it would mean the vacation is gone and I doubt I'll be able to find something similar at that time and it's hard to swtich vacation time due to my work schedule, so really, I am more concerned about if it's wise to book a Caribbean vacation at my current time slot. Inputs please.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Sorry if my response came off as a little rude, I just thought the contradiction was kind of funny. It's definitely not the best time to go to the Caribbean because of the risk, but it is definitely the cheapest time to go.

Does the resort offer any kind of hurricane gaurantee? I know Sandals does, so maybe Couples does too. Will your travel insurance cover the trip if it is cancelled due to a hurricane?

Personally, I would take the risk because Jamaica doesn't get hit by hurricanes every year and the chances are low that it would get hit the same exact time you're there. But... that doesn't mean it won't happen.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:43 AM
cdt

September is the number one month for hurricanes. It's also when my wife and I honeymooned in the Caribbean, and the weather was fine.

If you are flexible with dates, a good way to save money is to go at the beginning and end of the "low season" - for instance, May/June or early December.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

thank you both so much for the input! I know eventually I have to make up my own mind. Just trying to get as much input as possible first cdt, the special is for 8/22-10/16, which falls within the hurrican season. And for 12/1 - 12/24, which I already have work scheduled and can't take off. Hence my dilema There is another special out there for Wyndham Rose Hall Resort in Montego Bay for 3 nights at cheaper price and fall out of the hurrican season, but even though it's all inclusive as well, it does not include scuba diving. We'd have to book it with someone else, which means we won't be able to do it the day we arrive, and we can't do it the day we leave, that leaves two days if nothing goes wrong, and we want to go diving more than twice Also, from the reviews I read, couple Negril seems to be better than Wyndham, and beach at Negril seems to be nice than the beach at Montego Bay.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Negril gets somewhat less rain than Montego Bay, and far less than the NE coast. I wasw in Negril and east of Ocho Rios at the end of September last year. In Negril it was dry, in Ochi it rained most days but only sporadically.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:19 PM

if you haven't already paid go back to the site and look for trips during your time further south. the southern islands are not affected by hurricane season.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:25 AM

Early September, tho indeed hurricane season, is a 60/40 risk factor, for storms coming thru. Prices are lower. It's generally hot and sunny
like August. Couples is a good, decent choice, but wouldn't rate it s 'great' -- but you won't find 'great'in Negril at these pricepoints. For US$240 night for two AI incl food and scuba--make sure you've added the usual 15-20% tax--it's a good deal for Negril.
See www.insuremytrip.com for trip/travel cancellation insurance. Travel Guard International -- www.travelguard.com -- is good protection for quite little price.
Islands traditionally outside the hurricane belt like Aruba, Curacao,
Bonaire, Barbados will be at least at the same pricing, plus airfare/distance will be higher. If you're looking more rockbottom price in Negril at this time, check out the top rooms at Blue Cove Castle and add-on a private driver and most meals out for more variety than an AI -- plus, the chance to explore beyond the beach. Even in the rain, country Jamaica has great appeal
and hidden off the beaten track attractions and diversions not found in tourist heavy areas.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:13 AM
mm

Absolutely get the insurance.

Because of insurance with TravelGuard, we saved thousands of $$$ when a death in the family caused us to cancel a cruise.

Worth the money.

mm
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:18 AM

I've been curious about the deals that include SCUBA. Do you get guaranteed time/space or is it first come first served?

Go for it!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:30 PM

$240 a night for Couples Negril is an excellent rate!!!! Jump on it! I have not seen prices that good for this resort.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Freinds have a 40' cat in Tortola. Broken the boat down every warning...(capt's no what I mean) Some times they hit, some they don't. No one can predict when/where a hurricane will hit, but if somethings coming off the coast of Africa, you might want to keep an eye on where they think it might go. Have you been to Vegas and put all your money on RED... Get the insurance, watch the weather 3 - 4 days before you leave...if things are right, go have a great time
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:21 AM

The hurricane belt shifts from time to time so even the ABC islands(Aruba,Bonaire and Curacao) can see the effects of a hurricane.I would look into Hawaii.My husband and I went to Kauai and the weather was perfect.Its a great island with mountains,canyons,rainforests,waterfalls and great snorkeling.Kauai is not as touristy as Maui and Oahu, so it makes for a great all around island.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Grenada is in the southern Caribbean and was hit hard so I do not think this statement is at all accurate.

I have often cruised and vacationed in the Caribbean in September. I like that time of year because the kids are back in school. The weather is generally sunny til the late afternoon showers arrive. I find it quite pleasant.

No one can predict a hurricane. Also, my trip insurance specifically EXCLUDED any acts of God so I would make sure you are getting the protection you think you need.

Otherwise, that is a superb price on CN. Typically, there is a morning dive and an early afternoon dive. Except for your day or arrival, there should be no limits on how often you can enjoy.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM

We've gone to Jamaica twice in September (2002 and 2003) and the weather was very nice. The hurricane that hit Jamaica last year was the first one to hit since 1988. You are definitely taking a risk going during hurricane season but I would still go.. $240 per night for Couples Negril is a really good rate. We went to Couples Negril last May and loved it. It is a beautiful resort. Also, we always use www.insuremytrip.com for our trip insurance and get really good rates. We just paid $135 to insure our trip to Beaches Negril with our 3 kids in August. Plus I'm almost positive that Couples does have a hurricane guarantee.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Insurance will not totally cover weather. It must "cause complete cessation of services and prevents you from reaching your destination..." or be a "natural disaster at the site of your destination which renders destinations accomadations uninhabitable..." In plain language, if the weather is really bad, but the place is open, your screwed. Any resort worth it name should hold your monies for a future visit if the weather is that bad. Ted Riegel
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM

We went to Jamaica in September 2002 for 4 days and it poured for 3 of them. The 4th day it was overcast. Luck of the draw...but we had a great time anyway.