Search

Shopping bargains

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping bargains

What items can you purchase in St. Thomas and St. Maarten that are bargains compared to the US? Crystal? Jewlelry?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:14 AM

St. Thomas is a place that people talk about all the time for great shopping, however...we didn't find that to be true. We looked at art, food products, candles, clothes, etc. and didn't find any bargins. I did buy perfume, which I didn't think was any cheaper than at home, but hadn't brought any with me - thinking it would be cheaper. Additionally, cruise ships are all over the place along with the passengers and it's hard to see things. The outdoor vendors tend to be your best bet. My friend did buy some beautiful jewelry for herself and as gifts, but I think more for the selection than the prices. My recommendation is that you decide ahead of time what you would like to purchase, check out the prices VERY carefully in the US and go from there.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM
az

whiskey!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:13 AM

St. Maarten is known for bargains on liquor, cigarettes, jewelry, and electronics, among other items.

I agree that there are great bargains to be had on the first three, but I've never seen much of a price difference on electronics or anything else.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:23 AM
mm

Booze is definately cheaper but you have to ask if the savings is worth the effort of carrying the stuff home. It was for me! :^)

Also, got a great buy on a diamond ring. I estimate it cost a little more than 1/2 of what I'd pay for a similar ring (cut, quality, caret) as I would at home. I did do homework so I'm pretty confident it was a very good deal.

Happy shopping.

mm