Shallow Water with fish

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:39 AM
Terri

Shallow Water with fish

Has anyone encountered a beach where you could walk out, say chin-deep, and see any fish? I don't feel comfortable snorkeling in deeper areas as I'm not a good swimmer. Does such a beach/area exist?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
Statia

Yes, I've experienced that on the island of St. Eustatius. Great snorkeling in only 5-8 feet.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
Tanya

At Aerial Sands in Bermuda they have a couple of tidal pools. Lots of fish swimming around as you float. also lots of snorkelling just offshore.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:39 AM
anon

Anywhere on Bonaire, Coral Gardens/White House on Provo, Cemetery Reef and Smiths Reef, Grand Cayman,all over the small islands of the BVI,come to think of it there are TONS of places!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Cheryl

St. John - Since most of the beaches occur in a cove formation, there is coral/rocks along the sides that you can walk out to that are full of fish. We did most of our snorkeling just walking out from the shore (at the beaches at Caneel Bay) and felt like we were in an aquarium. <BR><BR>Grand Cayman - Several areas that you can snorkel right off the beach. We liked Smith's Cove for this. (I recall that Cemetary Reef was about 75 yards off shore - but there are other areas that are closer in.) I found a map of snorkeling sites for Grand Cayman on the Internet, but I don't recall the specific website address. Also, if you go to Grand Cayman, take a snorkeling boat trip to the Stingray City sandbar, where the water will only be waist deep ... you have to "swim" with the stingrays if you go to Grand Cayman; it's awesome!<BR><BR>Bermuda - Church Bay beach (if I recall the name correctly) had great snorkeling right off the beach in waist deep water(at the sides of the cove there was coral/rocks).<BR><BR>For any of the above, we were in water that was waist to chest deep and within 20 yards of shore.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Terri

Thanks for the replies. What about the Cable Beach/Nassau area? Thanks.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:44 PM
linda

Cozumel- at Chankanaab Nat'l Park has rocks you walk down and youre right on the reef practically. Follow the coastline along the rope- you only swim out 8 feet or so. Saw more fish there than in the USVI or the BVI.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:14 PM
tweedy

Terri,<BR><BR>Cable Beach you might have some luck, but there are other beaches close by, like Orange Hill beach, right across from Orange Hill Beach Club, that might fit the bill a bit better. I rarely see anyone on that beach and it is shallow for quite a ways out so you should see alot.<BR><BR>If you stay at Orange Hill the beach is right across the street. Orange Hill feels like an out island destination but it close to downtown Nassau. The hosts are very nice, cute bar area where everyone gathers in the evening and there is a good restaurant closeby as well as the dining room at Orange Hill.<BR><BR>Have a great time on Nassau.