Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

September last minute! Aruba, Jamaica, Somewhere else?

Sep 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
CInfinity

My wife and I decided to take a last minute vacation for our 2nd anniversary. We plan to leave around Sept. 23rd. We want someplace nice and romantic. Looking for a great beach, great food, some nighttime activities, shopping, and a nice pool. We've been leaning toward Palm Beach, Aruba (Radisson?) or Negril, Jamaica (Couples, Negril Gardens?). We, of course, are a little worried about hurricane season. That is why we were considering these two. We are open to other suggestions also. We have about $3000 - $3500 to spend. We appreciate any suggestions.

Sep 15th, 2002, 12:14 PM
cdt

Both beach areas are excellent. We slightly prefer the Negril beach but Aruba will give you a safer environment and less chance of bad weather.

Sep 15th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Keely

Two places we stayed at and liked a lot were Swept Away in Negril (Olympic size pool) and Bucuti Beach in Aruba (not such a great pool but amazing beach). Both are very romantic. You can probably get a good last-minute deal to Swept Away.

Sep 18th, 2002, 04:24 AM
x

We definitely prefer Aruba.

Jamaica is very lush, but you are stuck in your resort and literally fenced in. It is not safe to venture out by yourself.

Aruba is NOT lush, but the resorts are very nicely landscaped (especially the Radisson). You can venture out by yourself and explore the island.

My husband and I were there for our honeymoon, 1 year anniversary and again for my college graduation. 3 times in 2.5 years. We LOVE it.

Some people both love and despise Aruba and Jamaica. Depends what you are looking for.

I like the safety of Aruba and the extreme friendliness of people. You can walk for miles and miles of beach with your hubby late into the night and not feel fearful.

We can't wait to go back to Aruba.

Sep 18th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Karen

Hi: We love both Aruba and Jamaica and they are very different islands thats for sure. However given that it is hurricane season I know that the weather will be less affected by these storms in Aruba. If you have never been to either try Aruba this time. Walking the long beach from the Holiday Inn to Bucuti Beach is wonderful, safe and romantic have done it day and night. Have a great trip, don't worry about the weather and choose Aruba. Karen