Scuba for Beginners?

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scuba for Beginners?

Looking for recommendations of beginner scuba diving outfits in Bermuda. Will be there in August and have never been diving before. Would like to book it ourselves as opposed to letting the cruise line doing it.

Thanks in advance,
John

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:22 AM

I cannot give you a recommendation there, but I will give you a little info...

You are right to not book through the cruise-line, too expensive and likely overcrowded. This will be your first dive experience, so you need personal attention and someone to go at your pace and comfort level.

I personally am PADI-affiliated and look for PADI Five star shops. BE SURE they specify that they cater to small groups and provide that personal attention to new divers.

Here is a five star PADI and NAUI shop.

http://www.fantasea.bm/diving/diving.htm

I don't know anything about them, but contact them and see if you get a good feeling about them and what they offer.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I am not a diver myself but when I had someone visiting me here in Bermuda who does dive I got a recommendation from an ex diving instructor for Blue Water Divers & Watersports www.divebermuda.com. My friend was not a complete beginner but he did really enjoy his dive with them. Check them out and follow Diana's advice above. By all accounts Bermuda is a great place to learn to dive. Enjoy!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM

If you have never been diving, and have no certification, diving may NOT be an option for you. For those who have not taken classes, you must first complete a pool class which is usually given at a local hotel, then an afternoon shallow dive. It's usually called, Discover scuba or a resort course. Check the bermuda dive listing for this.
Otherwise, you cannot just do a dive without a certification card.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I have dived with Blue Water Divers located at Somerset Bridge for years. I was open water certified before I started diving and I am glad of that. That said, the people who run the operation are VERY safety conscious and will be able to get you a dive over a Civil War blockade runner within your first two or three dives. I highly recommend them. You can easily reach their location by ferry or by moped if your ship docks in Hamilton. If your ship docks in St. George there is a dive operation located at the docks. Getting to Somerset from there would be a very expensive cab ride or a rush for your morning dive.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM

PS add me to the list of folks who recommend you get your PADI certification before you go. Lots more fun if you have the instruction out of the way!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM
aks

Hi there - also strongly suggest you visit your local dive shop and get some instruction and preferably certification before you go. Think of it as an early start to your vacation! There's more to learn that just donning the gear and diving in. Also - Why spend time learning to dive on your precious vacation time! Call the PADI or NAUI network - they may be able to recommend a professional facility in Bermuda. Have a wonderful time .
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much for all of the advice so far. We were fully intending on a package that included both instruction and and intro dive experience.

Blue Water's website certainly gives a good first impression of the company. Their "Resort Course" may be just what we are looking for. As it is not our intent to take up scuba on a regular basis, but rather just go a bit further than snorkeling, we probably will not mind the limitations of a day program like this. I will be contacting them and report back what I find.

Thanks again to all,
John