Search

Sandals - good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 12:41 PM
joanna

Sandals - good or bad?

We're considering a Sandal's resort for our honeymoon. Looking for feedback, good or bad. I'd like to know if people feel the HIGH rates are justified. Any comments on specific properties are greatly appreciated since we have not yet chosen a location. Thanks in advance!!

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 01:54 PM
Henry

We went to Sandals Negril in January 99 are going back this March. In my opinion, the extra money was worth it. We loved the place. If you need any further info, please email me and I will send you a trip report it you wish.

Old Feb 5th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Mary

Hi Joanna: <BR> <BR>I agree with Henry. Sandals is defintely worth it. We have been to Dunn's River and Royal Bahamian. We are going to Negril in May. <BR> <BR>If you need specific information, please e-mail me.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 12:53 PM
Sandy Nelson

We just returned from Sandals Antigua (in late January) - had a great time! (We've also been to M.B.) Yes, Sandals is a bit expensive compared to other places, but for what you get for your (all inclusive) dollar, we feel is worth it -- the food at Antigua was great, we particularly appreciated being able to order a nice bottle of wine at dinner without thinking about the cost, the property is beautiful and the people were really nice. Take the time to talk to other guests and you'll have an instant circle of friends! If you want to save some money, the rooms that are considered just below the concierge level are perfectly fine. But splurge on a suite (avoid the "Beach Front" level though, not all its cracked up to be) if you can. Okay, the down side: well, there really isn't a down side - you're on your own to do what you want, when you want - swim, sail, snorkle, take an excursion, sit in the swim-up pool bar, read a good book in a hammock, etc. The evening entertainment may leave a little to be desired, not very sophicated, but heck, you're not in Vegas. If Vegas is what you're looking for, look elsewhere, if you're looking for a beautiful property to relax and enjoy each other, Sandals is a good way to go. P.S., the newly remodeled spa area with gazebo w/plunge pools and jacuzzi was lovely after dinner! Feel free to e:mail me if you want more specifics...

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 12:36 PM
Kim

Yes I would have to agree also I am a definate Sandals person. Stayed at Sandals Negril last Feb and just got back Sunday Feb 13,00 from Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau. Will be back at Negril next Feb for sure. The extra money you spend is well worth it. I found Jamaica much more laid back and the people much nicer, the bahamian people seemed to be not as pleasent. At Sandals Negril the staff bend over backwards to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The beach there is the best you can walk for miles, the food is good and the weather was awsome, but take sun screen! The sunsets are the best I have ever seen, but have your camera ready they only last a few min.I would definitely recommend Sandals Negril to anyone who wants to relax and collect piece of mind and soak up the sun its heaven there!!!!!! If you would like more info just email me !

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 05:55 PM
susan

I agree Sandals is definately the way to go. We've been to Sandals St. Lucia & Halcyon, Montego Bay, Royal Jamaician, Sandals Inn, Sandals Negril and our last trip was to Beaches Negril and have always had a vacation of a lifetime!!!!

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Rosie

Ooooooooooh Yeeeeaaahhhhh. It's worth it. My husband and I stayed at Sandals Negril for our honeymoon and I remember telling him on the 4th or 5th day that I would have spent another $1000 dollars and still considered it worth it. We had the best vacation we have ever had. We are going back to Negril in may for our first anniversary and staying at Couples in Negril. We would have gone back to Sandals but we got THE BEST deal from Couples and decided to take it. But we will be going back to Sandals properties in Jamaica soon. Definately worth it!

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 01:01 AM
Noah

What about all of the people who have posted here saying that 'sCandals' doesn't honor their 'Hurricane Guarantee' ? <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 08:31 AM
val

My husband and I recently returned from Sandals Negril on 2/5/00. We spent 10 days. We have also visited Dunns River - Jan 99. Of the two resorts, we would highly recommend Dunns River over Sandals Negril. Dunns River offers superior service, accommodations, friendly staff, and restaurants. The restaurants and bars at Negril frequently ran out of main entrees, beer, fruits, straws, cups, etc. The main attraction in Negril is the beach and Ricks Cafe (sunsets). Other than this, Dunns River is your best choice for a superior vacation.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 11:55 AM
Donna

My husband and I took our first trip to a Sandals in November 1999. We stayed at Sandals Royal Bahamian because it was supposed to be their top property. We were very disappointed. Granted we arrived only a few weeks after the hurricane. The island was in a bit of disarray and still needed some cleaning up, but that was no excuse for the service at Sandals. We could never get anything delivered to our room until I went and spoke directly the the general manager. The food was just okay. The service was probably less than okay. There are many restaurants, but they all serve the same food. If you are looking for excitement in food, this will probably not do it. We requested an oceanview honeymoon suite and we paid extra for it. When we got there, we found out that the new wing that we were in all the rooms have an ocean view. So we did not have to pay the extra money! So, to make a long story short, my husband and I are not difficult travelers and we are fairly easy to please, but Sandals did nothing to please us!! Will not spend our money again. <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 12:26 PM
gmf

Having visited several Sandals resorts in Jamaica, in addition to 2 other Jamaican all-inclusives, I would have to say that in general I do not feel that the high rates are justified. Having been to Sandals Royal Jamaican, Sandals Montego Bay, Sandals Dunns River and Sandals Ocho Rios, the only one I would return to is Sandals Royal Jamaican. For approximately the same money (depending on the current deals), you could stay at a Grand Lido resort (of the Superclubs resort family), which in my view far and away exceed the Sandals resorts in terms of amenities, service, etc. You could also stay at Couples Ocho Rios for probably slightly less money than Sandals. Although Couples is not as luxurious as the Grand Lidos, we preferred it to all the Sandals we have visited with the exception of the Royal Jamaican.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 03:57 PM
Christine

<BR>We spent our 10th anniversary at Sandals in Negril - we had a blast. Everything was great. the room the food the beach the tennis and the pro's teaching. We would go back in a flash!note: Try the dirty bananas!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:22 PM
cara

We just got back from 2 wonderful weeks at Sandals Antigua and had a great time definetly worth it.Food was very good! Beach is very nice and the property is beautiful.It's very romantic and laid back a really nice change.