Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Sandals Golf and Spa or Grande or Halcyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM
michelle

Planning a trip in March for <BR>St. Lucia..Which Sandals resort is the best?<BR>Sandals Golf, Grande, or Halcyon? I would love to hear from someone who has been there recently.<BR>thanks

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Penney

We loved Halcyon. It is laid back, romantic and the grounds are so lush and tropical - very vibrant colored flowers, vines growing on the balconies, paths leading here and there. It was nice in that the resort never felt crowded yet it was full. It is smaller in scale then the larger Golf and spa so the staff got to know you and were great to talk with. All the rooms are basically the same so you coauld save on rooms there too. Beach is far better there then at Golf and Spa - much calmer.<BR><BR>HAve heard great things about the newer one though! Try www.tropictravelonline.com There are tons of pic's - might help!<BR><BR>Penney

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Kim

Penny is right the Halcyon is much smaller in scale then the golf resort. We loved the golf resort, did not feel so closed in lots of places to walk and very good choices for dinning. Both resort are very beautiful, which ever one you choose you will have a great time.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:51 PM
penny

I would choose the Grande because I think it is the nicest and newest. If you want more of a party atmosphere, choose the Gold resort.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 02:32 PM
michelle

What excatly do you mean by &quot;party atmosphere?&quot; Should I be expecting a spring break crowd?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:25 AM
penny

Yes, exactly. Hated the atmosphere there.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Marti

no way was thing a spring break atmosphere, have you been there? I just went in Nov. to Grande, and it was fun, but not party crazy at all! halcyon is definately quieter.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Henry

We were at the Grande in November and had a wonderful time. The restaurants were wonderful and the grounds were very beautiful. We had dinner at the Halcyon and enjoyed it very much also. The Halcyon is much smaller and quite laid back. I am sure we would have enjoyed it also. The Grande is newer, larger and more elegant.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:32 PM
penny

I was referring to the Golf resort as a party atmosphere and yes I was there.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:09 PM
michelle

What is the story? Are we talking loud music, stupid games, topless people walking around?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM
penny

Look Michelle, you may like the atmosphere. I am in my mid 30's with children though, and like a quiet romantic atmosphere. People were drinking a lot, obnoxious (childish), loud music, etc. I have heard others say the same too. Remember people have different tolerances for this sort of thing. I just want a more quiet, reserved feel to my vacation. Ten years ago would have been a different story.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:52 AM
penny

I am going to the Grande in two weeks. I will visit all of the Dandals during my two weeks there and I will post a report upon my return.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Jim

It never felt like spring breakers in all the time we have been there.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:09 PM

I would avoid both Sandals and go to the Jalousie Hilton instead. It blows Sandals away.

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We returned on sunday and loved the golf and spa. It all depends on what you like. We referred to Halcyon as geriatric village, with the average age there of 60. The Grande was much more full and a broad range of ages. The Golf and spa is a younger crowd, but most are honeymooners who were in their rooms by 11 pm. After that the older crowd came out to have fun (30's-50's)The activities and restaurants at the golf and spa blow the other two out of the water, the only draw back about the golf resort is that the water is a little rough. I didn't think it was any rougher than Waikiki was. But the best restaurants are at the golf resort.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends what you like. We have spent time at both (last August) and enjoyed both resorts, but in different ways. The Golf and Spa had better restaurants and more things to do. You have the use of both resorts' restaurants and activities, however. As others have mentioned, the Golf and Spa DID have more of a &quot;party&quot; atmosphere, but it was by no means spring breakish. My husband and I were the oldest couple there (I'm 29 and my husband is 34) and were turned off by some of the lame frat type activites (i.e. beer drinking contests) it was easy to avoid these activities, though, and we weren't bothered by loud music. We didn't like the beach at the Halcyon. We much preferred the Golf and Spa beach. I've heard fabulous things about the Grande Resort, but have never been there.