Search

Sailing in Grenadines

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailing in Grenadines

Has anyone Sailed in the Grenadines? We are considering Sailing with Moorings next Spring. They now have operation on Canuoan Island.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:10 AM

We we did a 7 day sail through the Grenadines about 6 years ago on a crewed charter. Started out in St. Vincent and ended up at PSV. Had a lot of fund - stopped at a different ancorage every night and visited just about every island. We didn't use Moorings but they are now one of the biggest charter companies in the area so you won't go wrong. Sailing is somewhat akin to RVing in that you spend your travel time on board the boat and it gets a bit "close" after a few days since there's not much space on board. Think of it as camping on the water.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks A_Traveller. Do you remember if there were many shops and restaurants in the Grenadines? Would you consider the sailing water rough?
What time of year did you go? Can you remember the longest distance between Islands?

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:46 AM

I have sailed the Grenadines twice, both with Moorings (and both times before the Canouan base opened). The first time was from St. Lucia, and the second from Grenada. You can find my reports at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html, but by far the best resource is www.usual-suspects-sailing.com.

If you start in Canouan, you'll find that there aren't any particularly long passages (unlike St.Lucia to St. Vincent, or Grenada to Carriacou). Nevertheless, it is not the protected sailing of say, the Drake Channel in the BVI or the Sea of Abaco in the Bahamas. You can expect stiffer winds (as was the case in both December and March when I sailed) and bigger waves. Often, those swells will creep into anchorages as well.

There's plenty for sailors to do in that part of the world -- lots of restaurants and beach bars and some modest shopping. But it is not at all like the USVI or even the BVI. It's all about the nature in the Grenadines -- which are spectacular.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:05 AM

We found plenty of beach bars and restaurants during our trip (some islands had more than others) but we were also doing a crewed charter so the chef cooked most of our meals. Although all drinks and food were included in our price we did "dine out" a few times. You won't go hungry as you'll fine places to eat at almost every anchorage save for the Tobago Cays.

As for shops, there's decent shopping on St. Vincent and some on Union Island. There's less shopping on Bequia (but there is a great place to purchase model boats) and hardly anything on the other Grenadine islands. The shopping gene will suffer from withdrawal symptons in the Grenadines if you are seeking more than t-shirts and trinkets.

We sailed in July and didn't find the waters rough at all but as Callaloo pointed out a lot will depend on the conditions the week or two you are planning to sail. If I recall, we were never out of sight of land but some of the passages crossed a bit of open water. The longest stretch of sailing we did was about 3 hours. More often than not we'd only be under sail for around 2 hours or less. Some anchorages did get "rolly" at night but we got used to it fairly quickly.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:46 AM

Go to www.traveltalkonline.com. Lots of info and links.
We have sailed with The Moorings out of Canouan (actually did a one way sail from St Lucia to Canouan).
There is "blue water" sailing between many of the islands but if you go into and out of Canouan, you are within easy striking distance of the great places.
Bequia is a must, spend 2 days there. Tobabo Cays is also a must, spend 2 days there (best snorkling). Mustique, Mayreau are also great. Union Island, Petit St Vincent, and Canouan itself, less so.
On tip: assuming you will be flying in an out of Canouan airport on American Eagle, spend the last night on shore. The flight, as I remember, is very early. Much harder to leave directly from the boat on travel day (would have to dinghy in in the dark).
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM

I don't know much about sailing the Grenadines bareboat or charter, but have sailed on the Yankee Clipper from the Windjammer fleet. It is the real deal sailing ship compared to the others. So as I said, can't help in the sailing dept . Now the Grenadines ahhhhh the Grenadines. Heaven on Earth. My favorites. Tobago Cays a must do for snorkeling or just laziness on an uninhabited beach, just like the Corona commercials unless.......there's a boatload of day trippers. Then the beach is crowded, to much boat traffic coming and going stirs up the water, people don't watch what they are doing and tend to kick sand on others. The only shopping here is from the T-shirt trees whose vendors pack up and go home every night. Even still, love the time I get to spend there. The YC watches for the larger ships such as Star Clipper, if they are headed in that direction YC heads another.
Mayreau....Salt Whistle Bay although approach the island from the other side and hike the hill and then over the top and down the other side to SWB. Stop at the church and school at the top of the hill. Once you do you will understand why.
Union Island.....Chatham Bay
Bequia.....quaint,check out the bookstore, model boat shops, history of the whaling industry, the Turtle sanctuary and Spring pottery, Mac's Pizza and any of the other restaurants on the island you can't go wrong. Not all are open during the summer.
Canouan.....all about Raffles and Donald Trump YUCK Don't bother.
Mustique.....Home to the rich and famous, never took the opportunity to visit.
St. Vincent.....my favorite. Next to no tourism, nature at it's very best, St. Vincent parrot, the Botanical Gardens, Mespo, history, architecture, very remakable contrasts between the Leeward and Windward coasts a working Caribbean seaport, and a nice slice of what I call the "real Caribbean" Many fail to see the beauty the mainland has to offer. Seriously if you have the time try to spend at the very least a day or better yet two. I have been spending time on St. Vincent in addition to the WJ trips for 14 years and have yet to experience all there is to see and do.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM

We have sailed the Caribbean with Tradewinds cruise club.

www.tradewindscruiseclub.com

Fully chartered, all inclusive tours cover geographic areas and usually visit 5-8 hot spots over a 7 day period. Sailing sites include St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Martin, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Belize, Bahamas, Greece and more. You can find reviews in travel forums that I have written with Trip Advisor as well.

These trips allow us to relax, enjoy, help sail if we want, and most importantly - vacation in the way we want to. We've successfully been able to make little adjustments (daily activity, routes, dive sites ) to the trips. You can charter the whole boat or just sign on as one of 4/5 couples. They do allow older children... - we've taken our 13/15 yr old ( both diving certified ) and it's been the experience of a life time.

Diving is included, most captains are also dive masters and if such is not the case, they contract with local dive companies.

We've compared pricing with Moorings and Elite Island Yachts and are thrilled with the cost of this group. It is a membership group although you can get referred without joining. If you have any questions please feel free to email.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM

My wife and I took a Moorings charter once on a 42ft. (USVI&BVI's) and another on a 50ft.(Grenadines) both were were like going first class. They sometimes offer a captain who also does the cooking vs, 2 persons. It cost $50-$75 more for 2 persons but when you spend $1000/day it's an incidental.
You just want a crew that has worked for the Moorings fir at least 2-3 years and has done the route you take at least 4-5 times (so they know restaurants, bards, etc.) but the food they prepared was quite good and we eat on land only 1 time on each sail. I would take a 6 night charter. You only really get 5 full days but it would satisfy except if you hit a day of bad weather. In our 6 and 7 day trips we had gloriuos weather both times in June and July.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:32 AM

We sailed St. Vincent and the Grenadines through Sunsail last winter. It was amazing! The islands are definitely further apart - some only an hour or so and others several hours. Each island is different and most have at least one restaurant and bar.

You'll love it!

I do have to say that some of the anchorages are rather rolly. Especially Canouan and Mayreau. Still, Mayreau is just gorgeous. The Tobago Keys are unbelievable.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
TC

MW2006, We will be sailing out of St. Vincent for two weeks in November with Sunsail. Would really appreciate any island insider information you would care to share.
Thanks,
TC
[email protected]
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:38 AM

TC - Our trip was a year and a half ago, so I need to think about it a little and will post more soon, but here are a few tips just off the top of my head.

We found Mayreau and Canuoan to be extremely rolly. Actually in Mayreau it was so bad that all 6 of us paid for hotel rooms that night at the little resort. Actually, the rooms were very cool stone structures and the views were unbelievable.

Be sure to spend at least one night in the Tobago Keys - definitely our favorite anchorage of the trip. It can get pretty crowded though so don't arrive too late. There are lots of locals in little motor boats agressively selling t-shirts and lobsters. We bought lobsters and it was probably the best meal of the trip. The snorkeling there is phenomenal, as are the sunrises and sunsets.

We also really enjoyed spending some time exploring Bequia. We hired a taxi to give us a tour of the island and to take us to the turtle hatchery.

I don't scuba, but my husband and his friends did. There are some fantastic dive sights at every island.

Mustique was also a lot of fun. For a fun splurge, eat at Firefly or Cotton House. We ended up spending 2 days on Mustique we enjoyed it so much. We got massages at Cotton House, and they were the best we've ever had. Then we hit the beach. There is a fun bar where Mick Jagger played a few sets while we were anchored in the bay. Pretty cool experience. I can't remember the name of the bar, but it is famous and we were there during their music festival.

Here is a link to our photos:

http://tinyurl.com/lu6gz

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM
TC

MW, Thanks for sharing your photos. Amazing sunsets -- and I love that caterpillar!

A few questions: (1) Did you sail all the way to Grenada or how far did you sail? Did you sail for one or two weeks?

(2) Our guys are divers and are very interested in how you set up the diving portion of your sail. Did you contact dive operators in advance of the sail and arrange to meet? Did you use the same dive operator throughout the different islands or a different one on each island? What dive operations did you use and how would you rate them?

(3) Our gentlemen love to fish from the sailboat and are wondering if you had any luck in that area. We sailed Tahiti last year and they caught a 40 pound tuna, so they're all eager to fish again on this sail.

Thank you agan for sharing both your pictures and information.
TC
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:58 PM

The guys on our trip dove on their own. I don't think we needed a dive operator. The wrecks were all marked in some way. I think they dove off of Mayreau (a wreck) and in the Tobago Keys (night dive in search of lobsters - I know, very bad, but luckily they didn't catch anything!). I know they dove at least one other wreck, but my husband is having trouble remembering! They picked up tanks in Bequia and got refills in Canouan as well. I think a couple of the wrecks were intentional, so maybe not as exciting as others.

We were just sailing for a week, so we didn't have time to make it down to Grenada. Next time! It was such an amazing trip, I can't wait to go again. Hopefully soon!

We started at the Sunsail base in St. Vincent and returned there as well.

We found the Chris Doyle Cruising Guide to be very helpful, and never sail without them in the Caribbean!

I think fishing is really hit or miss. We caught a few barricuda, but that was about it. Doesn't mean you won't have more success. The guys had a line out pretty much the whole trip.

If you are around Mustique at all, there's a wreck of a cruise ship that is very close to the island and the surface. You don't even need to dive it to see plenty. Pretty spooky.

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:39 AM
TC

Thanks again, MW. We too always have the Cruising Guide. Great info. We'll have our boat for two weeks, so will try to make it all the way to Grenada and back providing weather cooperates. Not sure how the guys will feel about diving without a divemaster along. They're pretty adamant about knowing the lay of the land (sea) before diving into unknown currents. Will have to check this out a bit more.

If you loved this sail, take a look at Sunsail's base in French Polynesia. An amazing area for snorkeling and diving.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:00 AM

TC, when we sailed in the Grenadines, my husband arranged rendezvous dives. Called the dive shop in advance, and they picked him up right at our charter boat, and dropped him off at our next destination. Worked out well, and this is something the dive shops are accustomed to, since so many visitors to the Grenadines arrive by boat. The Doyle cruising guide identifies several dive operators if I'm not mistaken.

In addition to sailing the Grenadines a couple of times, we sailed exclusively in Grenada earlier this year. The sailing is challenging, but the anchorages are spectacular (though rolly) -- from the bustle of St. George's harbor, to feeling like you've stepped back in time in St. David's, to being in cruising sailor heaven in L'anse Aux Epines -- there is much to offer here. And the welcome you'll receive is warm and open-armed (and open-hearted).
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM

What Charter Company is the best in the Grenadines. This will be our first time sailing there - we have sailed a number of times in the BVIs. What can we expect? When's the best time to go????
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
TC

I can't say who is "best". We have always chartered with Sunsail and they are quite good. I think all the charters base in approximately the same location. I think that repeat sailors tend to use the same company over and over out of habit unless something goes wrong. Sunsail has always been a bit less expensive the Moorings and they give us a 20% discount as repeat customers. Who did you use in BVI?

We sail in November -- not because its the best time to go, but because that is when we can go and it tends to be less crowded than later in the year.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Well it looks like we are going sailing for a week in the Grenadines the first week of May - my husband is afraid it will be less winds but considering we have only sailed in the BVI and Great Lakes, its probably more wind than we are use to. Everyone has been talking about the rolly anchorages - is it that bad?
Suggested Itinieary from St. Vincents would be appreciated - love to snorkel and go to anchorages with restaurants, bars, etc!!!! Can't wait!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM
TC

Have a look at this web site. Rob's info is the most complete I have found anywhere. He's a good guy who's answered direct emails with my questions. I think you'll find anything you'd ever want to know -- and more-- on The Usual Suspects web site.

http://www.usual-suspects-sailing.co...ines-intro.htm