Search

Run Away BAY

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run Away BAY

Please help!! We are going to the FDR resort in Run Away Bay and have some qustions.
How long of a ride from the Montego Bay airport?
Do we need to request an extra nannie ahead of time?
How does the food compare to other AI? We have been to two other AI resorts so we don't expect great food just good clean restaurants.
We will be traveling with 12 people 6 adults ages 30-60 and 6 kids ages 1-10. Any other info is appreciated.
Denise
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 08:39 AM

Denise;

My wife, 10 yr old and I have been to FDR Runaway Bay 4 times now. We travel alot and have been to the Caribbean many times and Runaway Bay a total of 12. (we sometimes stay in a villa with friends) Regarding FDR.....

It's about about a 90 min drive from the airport.

You'll have no problem getting an extra nanny once you arrive.

Though we're not really fans for AI's, FDR is a favorite of ours just because we can turn our brains off and relax.
The food is fine for what it is. They try very hard to please and do on most accounts. The little "grill" near the pool is super for snack throughout the day.

The property is clean, well run and VERY friendly. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Be sure to visit Cranbrook and walk all the way to the "head of the river" take your suits and swim in the natural pool.(This walk is not for those who can't walk well. It's mostly flat but it takes about an 1hr to get there. It's a pretty property just to drive up to.

Also.....Adults may enjoy a "mountain ride" at Chukka Cove. Phone ahead and make res.

If you go to Dunn River (not for those who are not agile) Be sure to wear rubber shoes.

Feel free to walk the public beach next to and past Breezes (located next to
FDR) You cant walk onto Breezes but you can walk the beach. (close your eyes when you pass the nude part as it's not worth it ).

Have fun. Runaway Bay is one of our favorites. We've got tickets for two trips ourselves in the next few months.

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the reply. I can relax knowing the resort is clean. We also, are not fans of AI so we get nervous when it is time to go. We will definatly check out Dunn river and Cranbrook.I have heard the beach is just o.k. so we will visit Breezes beach.
Denise
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 07:48 AM
optical

Michaelpl

The walk in Cranbrook - do you need to have a guide or is it safe to walk on our own - i.e my husband and me.

Thanks

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Micheal, I haven't been to Cranbrook...can you tell me (us?) more about it?
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Cranbrook is very large "estate" (not fancy) that has been owned by a man named Ivan Linton for many many years.
He is a horticulturist by trade and in fact designs and maintains many of the gardens at local resorts and villas.

Only somewhat recently has be begun to promote his own property as a tourist destination in and of itself. There are many many varieties of flowers, trees and the such all over the property. There is a river that also runs through the property and if you choose to follow it to the "head of the river" you'll find a beautiful natural pool and waterfall.

The walk though not to difficult, can be a bit tiresome and from time to time there are some slippery stones and such. Thus one should be a bit careful.
As for a guide......Ive done it both ways, and found it to much more enjoyable and informative with a guide.
The fee to enter the property is very reasonable. (about $6 per person plus a tip for the guide) I hightly recommend this venture for those who appreciate nature.

Once word of caution.....if it has been raining a lot.....it might not be the best time to go as the river will be running very fast and the ground will be slippery. Have fun!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Thanks Michael! I assume you can swim in that pool/waterfall? I think I'd want to after that hike