Royal West Indies or Alexandra Resort?

Jan 14th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Royal West Indies or Alexandra Resort?

First time in Turks. I can stay at either location for about the same money. Please advise which is a better all around resort!! Thanks
Jan 14th, 2010, 06:39 AM

I have stayed at both amnd they are pretty comparable. I would give the edge to RWI though.

Alexandra - sits on a great stretch beach and closer to the reef for snorkeling. Landscaping needed tending to, pool was a little tired looking and the restaurant deck overlooking the beach was never open. Our first room smelled weird and had issues like a broken safe and celing fan. Our second room in a newer building was much nicer. Also, the lobby area is kind of weird and there is (or was) construction next door.

RWI - beautiful landscaping, great restaurant on-site, very nice rooms. No real negatives here excpet it is further away from snorkeling if that is important to you, though it's still just a quick drive.
Jan 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM

I can comment on RWI. We stayed on the 2nd floor in the beachfront building, landscaping was nice, restaurant by the beach (Mango Room?) had good food and a good-sized open air bar to sit at for a burger to to get out of a short-lived rain storm.

Room was large and had an efficiency kitchen perfect for breakfasts and making drinks and snacks for the beach if you wanted. Decor was average and the balcony was large with a view of the beach. The beach was quiet on both sides of the resort which gave a nice buffer to the larger places. However, construction continues so that may have changed.
Jan 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Our favorite is www.oceanclubresorts.com Ocean Club West. We do walk up to RWI's Mango Room for dinner when we are there. The grounds look well manicured and the staff is very pleasant, the food very good.

We prefer the location of OCW to walk to more shops and restaurants, but would consider RWI as an alternative.
Jan 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Another option would be the Sands. It may be a tad pricier but if you catch one of their free night specials, it would be comparable. I would pick that over the others.
Jan 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM

I have stayed at both too (in 2007) and agree that they are pretty comparable. It kind of depends on which little things are more important to you.

My comparisons:

- Grounds: Edge to RWI for nicer landscaping. Alexandra's beach area is larger. RWI has a second pool (quiet area) and a jacuzzi. Alexandra has one pool with a bar walk-up bar.

- Rooms: RWI rooms are larger than comparable categories at the Alexandra. Alexandra is a little newer with more contemporary decor; RWI's decor is more West Indies style. Studio rooms at Alexandra have a smaller (queen) bed, in the oceanview buildings at least, while RWI has king beds. RWI studios have larger refrigerators. Alexandra studios only have a shower, while RWI has a tub/shower combo. Alexandra has wifi in rooms; RWI only had it in the lobby/restaurant area when I was there.

- Restaurant: Mango Reef at RWI is poolside and very good; I have not eaten at the Alexandra's restaurant (the Orchid), but it is generally not considered to be as good as Mango Reef).

- Amenities: Alexandra has a fitness room; RWI does not. RWI has bikes and hobie cats available. I'm not sure about whether the Alexandra has these.

- Location: It is kind of a toss-up. Both have some restaurants nearby. Alexandra is closer to snorkeling at Coral Gardens.

BTW, I would also consider the Villa del Mar if you don't care about oceanfront or oceanview rooms. From my research, they offer really nice rooms at good prices.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread