Royal Hideaway Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was planning a vacation to celebrate our 25th anniversary, I really, really wanted to go back to Provo. I also really wanted a "special" experience. Between time and money constraints, we ended up at the Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen. And I have to say, the beach does not even come close to rivaling Provo.
That said, it was the most incredible experience I have ever had on a vacation. I would go back to RH in a heartbeat. Everyone should get to experience that level of service at least once in their life.
We arrived in Cancun mid-afternoon. Immigration and Customs was a breeze (we got a green light). I had booked transfers with Cancun Valet. They sent me an email that included info about the Cancun airport "gauntlet". I was glad they had warned me, or we would have certainly stopped to let one of those time share guys "look at our immigration documents." But forwarned is forearmed and we headed straight for the gentleman holding a sign with my name. We were driving through the gates of RH about 45 min. later. The one important piece of info our driver gave us was that his relatives from Denver that had come to Cancun for a wedding were able to drink much more (without apparent effects) than the locals. Since drinks were included (RH is an AI), I decided to put his theory to the test.
Upon arriving at the RH we were shown to the registration area, seated at a desk, given cool cloths and cold glasses of champagne. After registering we were shown to our room by one of the Bellman, he gave us a thorough tour of the property and our room.
Because of research I did beforehand, I had made dinner reservations by email for all but our last night. Our plans were to just lay on the beach, so we didn't use the services of our concierge very much. But Monica was always willing and anxious to help. She must have been watching for us to leave our room, because, when we did she rushed up to introduce herself and asked us to let her know if there was anything she could do for us. She stocked our fridge and when she saw we had used all four bottles of water the first day, she stocked it with six from then on, which was plenty for us.
The grounds and our room were beautiful. The staff was so friendly, and professional and they made you feel like their main goal was to serve you, meet your needs and make sure you were completely happy.
We ate at all the restaurants, and they were all great. The food was beautifully presented and very good, gourmet quality. My tea water was always piping hot (if you?re a tea drinker, you know how rare that is). If they didn?t think I ate enough (I found the portions very generous), they always offred to get me something else. The waiters were unbelievable. The table was kept very clean and neat, they would rush to pull out a chair if you left for a moment. We couldn?t get over how fabulous, amazing, over the top, the service was. We left generous tips in appreciation. These people work so hard to please you, they deserve it.
They have a couple large pools near the beach. When we passed by on our way to the beach, we did notice all of the pool lounges were spoken for. Since we prefer the beach, that wasn?t an issue. The beach made for great people watching. All the people walking by had wristbands, which is another thing that is nice about RH, no wristbands.
Every afternoon we enjoyed ?High tea? with the sax player and cold champagne and lovely treats. The one day I complained about the lack of chocolate, our waiter returned with chocolate sauce for me to dip my strawberries in. My husband really enjoyed the Mayan coffee.
There was a diverse group there age-wise. There was an elderly gentleman there in a wheelchair, and he seemed to spend most of his time hanging out by the pool, or at the grill. My husband noticed that the staff would always stop and talk to him when they passed by. The staff was so friendly, and you really felt like they enjoyed their jobs. Even the groundskeepers would look at you, smile and say ?Hola!?
We enjoyed the dinner show Sunday, and it was very good. One day we came back to our room to find a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us. Another night, our turndown service included heart shaped towel swans and a banner taped to our headboard congratulating us on our anniversary.
The negatives are that there is a lot of activity on the beach, with a frequent gas smell. But when we had had enough, there were quiet relaxation pools to retreat to. There were also time share recruiters from the Allegro next door that were allowed to solicit (warning: the guy who ?worked? us was so nice, and he offered an hour massage, we got suckered; I was doing it more to help him out, but I did want my massage, however it had to be at the Allegro, and there was never anyone in the spa where I had to book it; we did get a few other gifts, but take my advice ?just say no?). The company that owns Allegro also owns RH, so they apparently tolerate a certain amount. We did feel like the Allegro was a much ?busier? place, and frankly, we much preferred the peace and quiet of RH. They did have activities that they let you know about, but they didn?t pressure you in any way.
Okay, this is long enough. Bottom line ? it was incredible! We?d go back in a heartbeat. If you get the chance, GO!
Old May 29th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Thanks for posting this report. I have always wanted to try Royal Hideaway and your report is giving me that extra push! I am so glad you were able to experience your 25th in such style!

I have hesitated to go to Mexico the past few years because I've developed some stomach issues and fear I might be more susceptible to getting affected by their water. I know RH water is treated, etc., but was wondering if you heard about anyone getting sick while there? That is the only thing truly holding me back, and if I can put my fears at bay, I'd love to go!

Again, thanks for the trip report and congrats on your 25th!

Old May 29th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Thank you so much for posting your trip report.

I am set to leave in 10 days and I love reading people's experiences in anticipation of my departure.

To KimM: My husband too has stomach problems which kept him from venturing to Mexico. With much reading and provoking by me I finally got him to agree to the RH. I will post a trip report when we return and let you know how we made out.

Thanks again to actran for the report and congrats on your 25th!

Nancy
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

At times my stomach seemed a little unsettled. But, you have to remember, I was eating rich food and drinking WAY more alcohol than I usually do, so I think that probably had more effect on my stomach than the water. Didn't hear about anyone else getting sick. We did not eat or drink anything outside of RH.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:51 AM

To KimM: Regarding getting sick, My husband and I stayed at RH last year with another couple. We ate and drank everything (ice in our drinks, etc.) Several times I forgot to use the bottled water to brush my teeth and just used the tap water. None of the four of us got sick. It was a wonderful resort, and we'll definitely return some day.