romantic dining in old san juan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend in Old San Juan and would like to see if anyone can recomend a nice romantic restaurant to take her. Also if anyone knows or can suggest a special activity to do in old san juan after I propose I would appreciated it
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM

ttt
surely someone can advise this romantic fellow
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Try RickyB on tripadvisor.com. They also have a travel forum. He is the "local expert" and was a great help to me when planning my trip (with kids and little romance!).
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM

hi, i've been reading through some old posts and a couple names keep coming up for good restaurants (have no idea if they are romantic or not):
Dragonfly, Parrot Club, Ajli Mojili.

and the following is from a poster named tom42:
recommendations here. There is quite a bustling restaurant and lounge scene in Old San Juan. I ate at the Parrot Club and Dragonfly - both owned, along with Aquaviva and Fogata, by the same group of investors. Both restaurants were excellent. You should know going in that they are small, noisy and crowded. The food was very good, especially at Dragonfly - which serves an Asian-latin fusion menu. Dragonfly was the most bizarre and cool restaurant I've ever been in - it is all red, it is dark, lit mostly with many candles and the tables are very very close. It is a very sexy restaurant. I went on a Saturday night and it was packed. I really enjoyed the peking duck nachos and the Mongolian beef.

I also ate at Ajilli Mojilli (twice) and it was very good. I had written it off a couple of years ago but decided to give it a try in its new location and I was not disappointed. Very good. If you go, the Pumpkin fritters with a salsa-type dipping sauce are soooo good (they are not on the menu but they will make them if you ask).
here is some to do info from ricky pr:
staying in Europe. And by staying in Old San Juan you are also near to the great nighlife that is in the Condado/Isla Verde area. (go to Babylons one night, its a great club in the El San Juan Hotel, this is really one of the best nightclubs in the region). I wouldnt suggest much time on the beaches in the San Juan area, use your beach time in the Fajardo area, those beaches are better.You should go see the Caves and the Observatory while you at San Juan, its a shorter drive.
Once in the Fajardo area, things you must do are go to Palomino, go to El Yunque, do the bio-bay, try the local food, go to Luquillo Beach or Seven Seas or to Icacos Island. (visible from your hotel, to the left of Palomino. From your hotel you will see about 3 islands that are nearest, Palomino is the large one, to the right is Palominito and to the left is Icacos. In the distance you can see Vieques Island, Culebra Island and sometimes St. Thomas)
-Ricky
hopefully some of this will help you out. virginia
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Dear uachout4me,
Aguaviva, Dragon Fly, parrot club are all great restaurants BUT crowded, loud and not the place you want for a proposal. but i DO recomend their food and service but no romance there but if I'd choose one i'd say a corner table at Dragonfly. They don't take reservations though. Last night i took my beloved for the 1st time to La Ostra Cosa on 154 Cristo Stree (1 block South of the Old San Juan Cathedral) located at an INTERIOR patio of the building where Spicee Caribee (store) is located an it was very romantic. It is hot & muggy since its an interior patio surrounded by a 3 story colonial building but they even gave us off since i was wearing a skirt. It is know for its supposed aphrodisiac menu and ambiance. Bar tender was our waitress (slow day on Tue night) and she was charming, knowledgable and very aware that the customers go there to enjoy each other-gave us our space & privacy. even the owner came by and talked to us after we paid our bill and sat there enjoying the moment with our after dinner drinks. Their telephone is 787-722-2672 call and tell them what you will do and they will help you have the perfect evening. We are definitelly going back there! Romantic all the way! Another lovely place but it can get a bit crowded (depending on the day) is Amadeus located on 106 San Sebastia Street-this one has a/c has lovely lighting (the smoking section is more charming than the large non smoking area out in the back) with new artwork all the time. some times they have musicians (guitar or sax player). They close on Mon. tel 787-641-7450 Best Wishes for a Happy Ever After & God Bless!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:46 AM

I agree with Wanda that the Parrot Club would not be romantic...yes, great good but very busy and very loud.
Carli Cafe Concierto (it is a restaurant despite the "cafe" in its name) in Old San Juan (if it's still around, we ate there in Feb. '04) has great food and the inside is very romantic...mood lighting, fairly small (i.e. intimate), and the owner will play the piano on certain nights. We loved it.
Good luck.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:10 PM

There are so many fantastic places in Old San Juan.

To agree with the PP, none of the mentioned Parrot Club, Aguaviva, Dragonfly, etc. are romantic they are loud and trendy - some of my favorite places to dine in PR, but not for a proposal. Ajili Mojili is great also, not in Old San Juan & it gets really busy. However, any of these would be fantastic if you are there for more than one day or lunch!

I would look into the new restaurant across from El Convento Hotel - Il Perugino.

Another would be Trois Cent Onze (311) on Fortaleza.

Trois Cent Onze
311 Fortaleza Street Old San Juan
787-725-7959

I think this one would be great!

This is another one on Fortaleza - La Querencia , it has several dining rooms. You might be able to contact them and ask if they have somewhere with a private table.

After dinner I would head over to
Carli Café Concierto which is located at Calle Tetuán 206
The owner Carli Muñoz, was one of the the Beach Boys. He plays jazz and piano every night. The place is great and wonderful to have an after dinner drink or dessert. You can easily walk from any of the restaurants mentioned above.

GL I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for your great responses. I am flying out today Thursday and will have basically all day tomorrow to check these places out and will choose the best one. I will let you know how it went. Thanks again. You really made this much easier.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

hello I am back from my mission. SHE SAID YES!!!

Thank you all who responded to the great ideas for dinner. We went to a nice little outdoor cafe in El Paseo de la princesa. Wedding is in 1/07
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you may want to consider not proposing in a restaurant but in a more romantic outdoor spot? There are so many beautiful places in PR that might be better suited to this intimate occasion.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM

YEAH ! she said yes. now - have you planned where the wedding will be and do we get to help with that too?
you are so nice to let us know how things turned out.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:52 AM

YEAH from me too. Congrats!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:15 AM

Congrats! That is great!