Rock House Resort

Oct 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Rock House Resort

My husband and I are looking into going to the Rock House Resort for our second anniversary. For our honeymoon we stayed at Bucuti in Aruba and loved that small hotel feel.
* Is the Rock House all that it appears to be on their website?
* Are the drinks overpriced?
* What are some things to do in the area?

Oct 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Which Rock House there are several in the area.
Oct 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Rock House Hotel in Negril Jamaica
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM

It's great and yes, it looks just like it does on the website. Pool is very cool as is the restaurant and bar. I would stay in the villas if price is not an option. Not huge or overly luxurious, but very nice and the outdoor showers are wonderful. The hotel rooms and most of the studios do not have an ocean view. It's a short taxi ride to the beach and there are a lot of other good restaurants on the cliffs. Don't remember much about the drink prices. The restuarant bar is the same as any nice restaurant in the states. There are refrigerators in the rooms so you can buy your own beer/liquor. Lori
Oct 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lori, I agree, I think we are gonna go ahead and do the villa. Thanks for the tips. Any must do things/excusions while we are there?
Oct 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Well, I am embarrassed to say that I have been to Negril many times over the years and have never taken a day trip. We usually stay on the beach for a week and end our trip with a short stay on the cliffs. It seems like once we are there, we become so relaxed just wandering up and down the beach from bar to bar (which is most likely the source of our inactivity!) or snorkeling on the cliffs that we never manage to go anywhere. But I have heard that the Treasure Beach area south of Negril is a great place to visit for the day. It is supposed to be like Negril was in the 80's. An authentic Jamaican experience. I think it is about 2 hours from Negril and you can arrange a trip through Talk of the Town Tours. Everyone seems to think they do a great job. If you do a search on this site for "treasure beach", "Talk of the Town Tours" or "Black River", you can read more about it. I am making reservations this year and hopefully I can get all the deadbeats that I travel with off their butts and into the van.

There are also a couple of waterfalls in the area. I think that Mayfield falls is closer to Negril and YS Falls is closer to Treasure Beach. I would not recommend renting a car in Jamaica. I have rented and driven cars all over the Caribbean, but the Jamaicans drivers in Negril drive like maniacs and I find it easier to just take a taxi or hire a driver. If you need someone to pick you up from the airport, I have the cell number for a great guy that we use every year, Kirk Malcolm. He works out of Negril One Stop with his brothers. He is a very cool guy, dependable and has a nice air-conditioned van. I think he charges about $60.00 one way.

You can also see some other pictures of the Rockhouse on Negrilonestop.com. You will love the Rockhouse and that fabulous pool. It would be very romantic for an anniversary. When are you going? Lori
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM

See my trip for some excursions ideas. They're in the last part of the trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34850389
Oct 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM

My husband and I stayed at Rockhouse in April for our anniversary and loved it. We stayed in Villa #1 which, in my opinion, had the most privacy (though it looked like they were building a little tiki hut near there -- which I wouldn't have minded, either!)

The pool is wonderful and it's a bit of a walk from the villas, but well worth it.

The only thing I would advise is to call ahead and see if there's a wedding happening for the time you plan to be there. They had one the day we arrived and both the pool and restaurant were closed to the guests. We arrived late in the day, so it wasn't a big deal. However, we met a couple who were staying there, and they woke up to a "sorry for the inconvenience" note slipped under their door.

There was another wedding scheduled for the following Saturday, but we were gone by then. Missing the restaurant for a day doesn't bother me, but paying for, and not having access to that pool, would. Just a word of caution.

That's the only negative, though. Loved the resort and plan to return.

Hope this helps.

Oct 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips and the only problem I am currently having is getting a hold of someone at the resort. I have followed their email policy for reservations and noone has responded. Is this normal?
Oct 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Check the trip advisor forums... there is a recent review there that you should read.