Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Road from MoBay to Negril...better than it was before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:10 AM
Jack

I had orginally posted a message regarding what puddle jumper to take from MoBay to Negril as to avoid that bad road that we had been told is a dusty 2 1/2 hour drive. However some of the posts commented that the road is MUCH better and only takes about an hour now. I don't mind at all kicking out the extra $$ for the puddle jumper when it was a lengthy, very winding drive, but now if it is only an hour, like one post said you can just about be there driving by the time you get on a flight, etc. <BR>Your thoughts??? Has anyone been there recently or heard anything about an improvement? Thanks.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 06:24 AM
Tom

I was just there in October and the road was fine, it is quite smooth and takes about an hour or so, it wasn't any worse than roads inn the US.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:40 AM
ed

Well that is good news and also very amazing. When we were there just over a year ago the road looked like it had years of work left on it. Only a very few stretches where paved. Most of the length was rough and under construction. I guess the government must have poured enough money and manpower into it to wrap it up fast. Sure will make that drive to Negril a lot nicer.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:13 AM
xxx

I have the same feeling as you, Ed. Last Christmas, the road was a shambles--bridges not complete, washed out in areas, etc. Our bus driver said it was not scheduled to be completed for 4 more years and then laughed commenting that it was 4 years &quot;Jamaican time.&quot;

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:02 AM
bUdNiP

The new road IS complete.For more renforcement post your question on the board at Negril.com.<BR><BR>Now having said that I would suggest that you fly oneway and drive the other.<BR>The veiws on tyhe flight are great and on the drive you can get a closer look.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 01:19 PM
tivertonhouse

The new COAST road is done and smooth, if not exactly a memorable check-the-vistas route;the road over the mountains from Reading to Ferris Cross still had construction patches as of late October this year -- and,given Jamaica, you know they've not disappeared in the past 30 days. Fly over...

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:10 PM
gingele

Drove the road YESTERDAY - sad to say because it meant the trip was over - and it was perfect. Smooth sailing all the way. I also flew last year because of the construction. That was nice, but the drive is so easy now. about 1 hour from door to door. <BR><BR>enjoy negril - we did! (and thats an unerstatement).<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:10 PM
gingele

Drove the road YESTERDAY - sad to say because it meant the trip was over - and it was perfect. Smooth sailing all the way. I also flew last year because of the construction. That was nice, but the drive is so easy now. about 1 hour from door to door. <BR><BR>enjoy negril - we did! (and thats an understatement).<BR><BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:32 AM
xxx

Hey Tivertonhouse--I know you post with a wealth of info about Jamaica. What prompted the quick finish of the road??I'm just curious given the comments we heard last year (I'm the same xxx as from above.) Thanks.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Lisa

There was an election this year, that's why the roads were completed

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
tivertonhouse

Lisa hit it right on the head, especially since Pothole Free by 2003 was a PJ campaign slogan.