Reload this Page >

Restaurants in San Juan

Search

Restaurants in San Juan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:03 AM
sally

Restaurants in San Juan

Hi, I did a search on message boards but not finding much info. My husband, myself and 2 young adults will be staying in San Juan 3 days post cruise beginning of Feb. I am seeking some restaurant recommendations. We would like to try cuban/PR food. Experience the Island. $$-$$$ is fine. Any thoughts? I hear most are good, but would like hearing from anyone on a personal note. Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:29 AM
criollo

Sally,<BR><BR>When we lived in Puerto Rico our two favorite restaurants were Metropol for excellent (and inexpensive) Cuban food. There is one in Old San Juan, but can't remember where. We always ate at the one in Isla Verde. Number 2 on the list is Ajili Mojili in the COndado section, maybe 10 minutes from Old San Juan.<BR><BR>Here's a section of a post I found here on Fodors by puttingg San Juan in the search box above:<BR><BR><BR>Message: Try these restaurants in and near Old San Juan:<BR><BR>The Parrot Club 363 Calle Fortaleza, (787) 725-7370 Seats: 130 Cuisine: Nuevo Latino Specialties: seared sea bass simmered in a clam sauce; glazed grilled salmon with wilted spinach; risotto with white cheese; smoked chicken and goat cheese salad with bananas Entr&eacute;e price range: $16-$29<BR><BR>Che's Restaurant Argentino 35 Calle Caoba, (787) 726-7202 Seats: 150 Cuisine: Argentine steak house Specialties: grilled 14-ounce skirt steak; grilled 12-ounce New York strip; mixed grilled meat platter of beef, pork, chicken, sweetbreads and blood sausage with fried rice and beans; filet mignon Entr&eacute;e price range: $7-$35<BR><BR>The Dragon Fly 364 Calle Fortaleza, (787) 977-3886 Seats: 40 Cuisine: Latino/Asian fusion Specialties: blackened tuna in a dark rum sauce with orange essence and mashed yuca; grilled flank steak with a timbale of banana, portobellos and tomato chimichurri; sugar-cured lamb on sugarcane skewers with pi&ntilde;a mint mojo and Israeli couscous Entr&eacute;e price range: $18-$29<BR><BR>Havana Caf&eacute; 409 Calle de Parque, (787) 725-0888 Seats: 120 Cuisine: Cuban and Latino fusion Specialties: filet mignon in a blue cheese sauce with salad and red beans and rice; fillet of codfish with cilantro sauce; chicken cr&ecirc;pe with b&eacute;chamel salsa Entr&eacute;e price range: $13-$25<BR><BR>La Ostra Cosa 154 Calle St. Cristo, (787) 722-2672 Seats: 30 Cuisine: aphrodisiacal Specialties: grilled prawns; cheese crisps stuffed with minced fish, conch, octopus and shrimp; fillet of sole poached in a white-wine sauce; grilled king crab legs Entr&eacute;e price range: $11-$17<BR><BR>* The Parrot Club is probably my favorite on the list. San Juan is a good restaurant city, better than most in the Caribbean, and you'll find lots lof little mom &amp; pop places in and around Old San Juan. Walk around and peek into the windows. See where the locals eat! That's the best way to discover something great -- let me know if you find anything!!! Good luck.<BR><BR>Author: debra ([email protected]) Date: 06/04/2002, 08:11 pm<BR><BR>Message: chef jason's post is very helpful, i plan to go to san juan later this summer...i remember a place in old san juan called something like la zaraganzas (apologies for my lack of spanish)...is it still there? recommended?<BR><BR>Author: Maureen ([email protected]) Date: 06/05/2002, 07:47 am<BR><BR>Message: Just reading a paragraph from my Caribbean Travel &amp; Leisure; For that big lunch try &quot;Morgan's Steak &amp; Seafood&quot; Restaurant-787-275-0850-dining room is very cozy and the bar overlooks the bay. Watch boats ply the waters while you chow on churrasco (skirt steak), eggplant a la Morgan's stuffed with lobster and shrimp...To get there take the ferry (50 cents) from Pier 2 (AcuExpresso terminal) across San Juan Bay to Catano. Turn right out of the terminal and you'll find a picturesque new malecon (seaside way) Walk about 3 mins and on the left is Morgans.<BR><BR>Author: janecel ([email protected]) Date: 06/05/2002, 08:21 pm<BR><BR>Message: I used to live in PR. My favorites were Chayote and Pikayu. Both feature Nuevo Latino cuisine and are expensive but worth it. <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:55 AM
sally

Criollo, I thank you so much for your time and effort. You are a better searcher than I was. I appreciate it. I have many now to choose from. Thanks.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:16 AM
tom

I second the Metropol for CUban/PR cuisine. Great stuffed cornish game hens.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Statia

Here's another Metropol fan. There is also one in Santurce.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Starfish

http://www.wepa.com/categories/Q/R/index-en.html<BR><BR>I've been researching PR, too. Try this site ... it has a few menus on it.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:57 PM
sally

My many thanks to all of you. This Metropol sounds like it is a must. Now I am confused. So many decisions to make for only 2 evenings. Starfish, that is a great web site. I like it very much. I love to try different foods. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it with me. I think the Parrot Club looks interesting also.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:12 AM
Kristin

I used to live in PR too. I wasn't a big fan of Metropol, but I guess I'm in the minority here.<BR><BR>The Parrot Club and Dragonfly are owned by the same person (group?), and both are very good. Here's my recommendation: go to Ajili Mojili for local cuisine (more authentic than Parrot Club) and check out Dragonfly fot its latin/asian fusion food. Yummy!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:35 AM
sally

Well in 4 days I leave. Getting closer. How about a place called &quot;Pamale's&quot; I hear pros and cons about this place. Well the Ajili Mojill is a must. I will figure it out after I get there. Thanks everyone.