Restaurants at Westin?

Feb 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants at Westin?

My husband and I will only be in Grand Cayman for two nights and will be staying at the Westin. Would you recommend eating at the hotel's restaurants, or would it be more fun to go somewhere else on the island? We'll probably stay at the hotel during the day since we're there for such a short time, but we'd like to have good, atmospheric dinners preferably in open-air restaurants. We've never been to the Caymans, so I have no idea what's good and how close everything is. Also, I've heard many places are still closed b/c of Ivan.
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Grand Cayman has fantastic restaurants, so I would definitely eat outside of the Westin. We stayed at the Westin last June and really enjoyed it. The beach there is the best of 7MB. Go to Caymanrestaurants.com to see what has reopened post Ivan. You could also put up a post asking for Fodorites' favorite restaurants. We liked Cafe Med, Smuggler's Cove, and Ragazzi- I know these are open now. Our favorite, Calypso Grill, is still closed. I would also highly recommend taking the Stingray City snorkel tour with Capt. Marvin while you're there. Absolutely breathtaking snorkel sites!!
You can book it for a half or full day. We've gone twice and saw something different each time. I would rent a car, even though it is only 2 days. They are not expensive in Cayman and give you so much more freedom. Since Cayman is small, it is very easy to get around and check out some restaurants ahead of time.
Feb 17th, 2005, 04:00 PM

I'm afraid, Summer, that Smuggler's Cove is permanently closed. The damage was too great to the building. As far as outdoor seating is concerned, I too would recommend Calypso Grill - it is planning to reopen pretty soon, so this is based on when your trip is booked. The restaurant at the Westin has a new chef who is superb, but if you want to venture beyond the hotel, you can find open-air seating at Deckers (same owners as Smugglers Cove), Cafe Med and Montecristo (new Chophouse in Treasure Island Resort). I would also recommend the food at Edoardo's restaurant, in Coconut Place within five minutes walking distance of the hotel. Renting a car is definitely an idea, as you don't truly see the island until you visit the outer districts, but book as soon as you can as rental cars are still in great demand after the hurricane. Andy's Rent-A-Car usually has the best deals. (345)-949-8111.
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Take BHVIC advice,it is sound. Of course, there are more restaurants around that are open but that is half the fun in travelling is finding the best spots. Good luck and wear your sunscreen.
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Do you like Italian? If so, I recommend that you walk to Ragazzi's one night. And if you like greek food, I would take the bus to Athena's the other night.