Grand Cayman Questions--Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I were supposed to be in China this coming week, but something happened and we ended up booking a different trip . . . yesterday. We are leaving for Grand Cayman tomorrow. Know nothing about it. Staying at the Ritz.

My first question is whether it is possible to rent your own motor boat and cruise around. That's my husband's idea of a good time.

Second, do most people rent a car, or just taxi around?

Third, what are the main things we have to see? What is the most beautiful beach or part of the island?

Finally, what are the best restaurants? We love good restaurants!

Thanks!

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Grand Cayman is alot of fun.The Ritz is very nice and is a great location to restaurants and bars.

I would rent a car so you can explore the other parts of the island.

Some things to explore are Stingray City with Capt. Marvin's go on a Friday or Sunday when the cruise ships are not in.It will be less crowded on those days.We did the 3 stop snorkeling tour and it is a must do.

Other places of interest are The Botanical Gardens,Butterfly Farm,Turtle Farm,Rumpoint,The Blowholes,Eden Rock,Smith's Cove.

Make sure to go to Rumpoint and spend the day oneday.It is a great place to relax..the water is shallow for a good 50 to 100 yards out.There is also a restaurant there,hammocks for relaxing.

Some good restaurants are:

Pappagallos-very good Italian food..on the expensive side but worth it.

The Wharf- it's on the water and they have nightly Tarpon feedings.Good food also on the expensive side.

Coconut Joe's- good place to hang out and have drinks. I had a good Caesar's salad here.

Deckers- very good pasta,great atmosphere and decent prices.

The Lobster Pot- we did not go here but heard that it is very good.

Chicken Chicken- good for a cheap meal.

My favorite part of the island is heading down to the East end where the Blow holes are and Rumpoint.

On the way to Rumpoint we stopped at a beach close to it and found HUGE Conch shells.

I was there in May and had a wonderful time! If you have anymore questions..feel free to ask.

Christie
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Here's our report from an April trip:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34790307
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Here is a link to my trip report also

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34806815
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM

I was at the Ritz in May for a conference. It is a wonderful hotel and sits on what is arguably the best beach on the whole of Grand Cayman (Seven Mile Beach). At the hotel you will find a number of wonderful restaurants, and will pay for the privilege of eating at them.

Two suggestions. First, be sure and rent a car. My wife and I did this on the last day we were there and had a wonderful time exploring the eastern side of the island and the aforementioned Rum Point. Grand Cayman is pretty small so you will have no trouble seeing most everything you want with a car in two days. Cabs tend to run on the expensive side. For example, if you wanted to go to Hell, it would be $20 there and $20 back. But, you can rent a car for $60/day from the rental desk at the Ritz. As you can see it doesn't take long to make the rental cost worth it.

Second, when you arrive go to the conceirge and put your questions to them as well. The conceirge helped us out immensely, setting up a Stingray/snorkel tour with Captain Marvin plus a few reservations at some nice restaurants in town (all the names escape me at the moment). They will be your best resource for any request you have. Since this is the Ritz they know how to take care of their customers.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:33 PM

The best restaurant in Grand Cayman (and perhaps one of the best in the entire Caribbean) is in the Ritz-Carlton, so check it out. It's called Blue by Eric Ripert (he's the chef at one of NYC's top-rated restaurants, Le Bernardin). If you are into diving, the region around the Cayman Islands is one of the best dive destinations in the Caribbean. The best beach is Seven Mile Beach, where the Ritz-Carlton is located, but if you have a chance, drive out to the east end.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:45 AM

If you rent a car..I suggest reserving a car from Thrifty car rental at the airport.We reserved one ahead of time online and paid about $39 a day.

Christie
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:17 AM

I want to add Calypso Grill to the restaurant list. Very nice, both atmosphere and food. We never had a bad meal on GC. Lots of great restaurants. There a good indian restaurant very close to the ritz across from the grocery store (behind the copper steak house). Very good!

Also, rum point is not as great as people make out. Its basically a place for the cruise ships to take their hordes. Although there is a quiet little beach very close to there that has lots of those big red starfish.

If you drive, take a left when the road splits to rum point. Can't remember the name of the road, but it's easy to find. You'll pass some homes and come to a statue of Jesus or something. Follow that through and you'll come to a deserted beach. Go to the left around the bend and you'll see the star fish. We also snorkeled and saw some different fish (needle fish, etc.) Have fun.

Peace, Greenie
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I'm very surprised that nobody has mentioned The Reef Grill. By far our favorite restaurant on the island.

The real beauty of GC lies below the surface of the water. Diving & snorkeling are among the best we've experienced. As mentioned already above, the #1 attraction on the island is a trip to Stingray Sandbar....not to be missed.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hopefully lukesaunt read these suggestions before she left.I wish that I was in Grand Cayman!

Christie
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
anonxx

Hmmm, I've spent a week or two in Grand Cayman the last seven winters and never saw any cruise ship people at Rum Point. They are usually taken to Smiths Cove, 7MB (the public beach) and the large Stingray tour group boats. We started staying on the east end instead of the 7MB condo's because of all of the congestion. Both places are great. In addition to the list so far, I recommend the Lighthouse and Portofino's. Both a drive from the Ritz, but a beautiful drive with no traffic once you leave 7MB and the airport area. We get a car for the whole week or two regardless of where we stay, because we like the freedom to explore.

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:24 AM

anonxx,
We did not see any cruise ships hoards of people at Rumpoint either.

Christie