Restarurant recommendations in St. John

Jul 7th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Restarurant recommendations in St. John

I will be attending a conference in St. John in early November of this year. We have several choices for dinners in area restaurants. Could you please give me a list of what you think are the top 5 places to eat in St. John?
Jul 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM

My absolute favorite restaurant was Rhumblines. And the Lime Inn was great for seafood.
Jul 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Do you have any preferences on what kind of food you like?
What kind of atmosphere appeals to you?

We enjoyed Tapas - which is right on the street downtown - for the food and cheese platter dessert.
We also liked Equator at Caneel for the atmosphere.
Asolare has a beautiful view, good asian inspired cuisine, but I found it to be a little snooty.
Jul 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Cafe Roma- casual pasta.

More fancy- ZaZa's & Asolare for great asian inspired view. Awesome views.

We also really liked the food at Caneel Bay!
Jul 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM

A place that has been getting consistently great reviews is Plancha del Mar in the Marketplace complex. Upper floor. Same building as Starfish market.
Jul 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM

We thought Zozo's (in Gallow's Point) and Sweet Plantains (in Coral Bay) had the best food we've found on the island. Zozo's is pretty fancy for St. John--cloth tablecloths & napkins--with beautiful sunset views, wonderful northern Italian food and a good by-the-glass wine list. Sweet Plantains has a menu that covers different areas of the Carribean on different nights (curries some nights, Latin some nights, etc.) and an extensive assortment of rums (try the Erotic Spice Martini). If you're looking for a casual taste of the island, Skinny Legs in Coral Bay has a blue cheese hamburger that can't be beat and a great Greek salad too, not to mention a very fun crowd.
Jul 18th, 2009, 04:03 AM

My absolute favorite restaurant is Rhumb Lines... it is has a lovely, romantic, yet relaxed, casual ambiance (outside, but within a courtyard); delicious, creative, well prepared food (pacific rim) and a very friendly staff. I also love Sweet Plaintains (authentic island cuisine) very interesting, islandy ambiance. Love Zozo's for a more upscale, refined (without being too formal & stuffy) ambiance and excellent cuisine. Miss Lucy's - love sitting outside on the water - very casual & authentic island food... and last, but not least is the Banana Deck. The Banana deck is like a one of a kind Friday's - done St. John style... lovely deck, great American food with a Caribbean slant... not too expensive... a perfect place for everyone, anytime.