St. John Restaurants?

Jul 20th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

St. John Restaurants?

My husband and I will be visiting St. John in October. We'll be staying at Caneel but would like to enjoy the restaurants in Cruz Bay for dinners. Any suggestions for casual, good eating spots? Also, where would you recommend for a special anniversary dinner - a romantic place with a nice view and good food - anywhere on St. John?
Jul 20th, 2006, 03:59 AM

We always stay in Coral Bay and tend to eat at the villa or in the coral Bay restaurants. However, we always make a trip to Cruz Bay for Uncle Joe's BBQ!
Jul 20th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Zozo's-- the restaurant "atop" Gallows Point: wonderful view and very good food (last there 2 yrs ago-- don't know if there've been changes)
Happy Anniversary! Many many more casual restaurants in Cruz (they're all pretty casual). Check under Restaurants: St John
Jul 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM

For casual we enjoyed Compass Rose at the Mini Golf place up the road from the Dolphin Market.

They gave us a drink at sunset and the sunset view was amazing!

Other places that we enjoyed:

Sundog Cafe in Moongoose Junction
Deli Grotto for a sandwich
La Tapa has great calamari
JJ's Texas Toast
The Beach Bar

Others love The Lime Inn but our experience was just OK.

Have fun! The time of year that you are going is great..you will basically have the beaches to yourself!

Christie

Jul 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM

For casual places, we had great fish and Caribbean lobster at The Lime Inn and good fish at The Fish Trap. The food at Margarita Phil's was also very tasty.

Our favorite meal on the island was over in Coral Bay at Sweet Plantains.

-Bill
Jul 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Zozo's for romantic sunset dinner.
Don't miss the fried calamari!
Jul 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM

We also enjoyed Margarita Phil's ...they have great Lobster tacos!

Christie
Jul 21st, 2006, 10:38 AM

Anniversary dinner you could go to Equator at Caneel or Asolare. A more casual option would be The Balcony--you eat right on the waterfront.
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM

Second Mahobay's rec for Uncle Joe's BBQ To-die-for ribs !!!!!

BTW, Since you'll be at Caneel- heard the lunch buffet there is great, not too expensive, with wonderful mouthwatering desserts. It's on my "next-time" list.
Jul 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful tips! We are really looking forward to St. John to celebrate our 35th anniversary.
Jul 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM

Bsnave, Is the "71" in your email address for the yr you were married? Happy planning and anticipating for your 35th Anniversary!!
(Sorry if this is a duplicate--Fodors posting momentarily stalled out.)
Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM

The Lime Inn was our favorite meal. Also liked La Tapa alot. Definitely try Uncle Joe's BBQ. Very good. No sign, just look for the big silver grill by the ferry dock or follow your nose.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:50 AM

Hi!

As a St Johnian resident there is no need to leave Caneel to dine really. But if you must have a quiet intimate anniversary dinner, Zozo's tends to be busy and noisy in my opinion.

I'd do either la Tapa and reserve the table inside left corner not on a Monday or Saturday....or better yet-Stone terrace which has a beautiful view of Cruz Bay--ask for far corner terrace table away from bar.

For the best sunset dining both lunch and dinner go to Panini Beach Trattoria at Wharfside Village.

Casual dining is best at Fishtrap Restaurant with the best seafood on the island!

Uncle Joe's BBQ across from post office is simply awesome--totally unpretentious and delicious and affordable.

The new 30 year veteran executive chef at Westin Resort is cooking up killer food beachside and that open to public.

Coral Bay: Island Blues.

Check out this web site for more information about lifestyle and culture in Virgin Islands and St. John.

www.virginvoices.com
Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM

Publisher, so glad you mentioned the Westin!! The Beachside Cafe Restaurant was wonderful for dinner--7 entrees, 7 happy folks!!
Plus, location on the beach with gas-lit torches, flow-through breezes, live music, friendly and attentive service, made for a lovely "vibe."
Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Jumping in here with question to Publisher: I'm beginning to believe I may need to re-think our plans for our Dec. St John trip. We've happily vacationed there half a dozen times, splitting our 10 days between Gallows and Caneel (the later whose food I think is mediocre at best, by the way-- even at the Equator, which is not so bad; Sugar Mill terrible). But: Having very quiet accommodations is most impt to us (one of the reasons we enjoy Caneel). All our stays at Gallows have been very quiet (we're in unit 7) and also Zozo's has always been nice and quiet. If for one reason or another, Zozo's has significantly changed since we've been there (2-3 yrs ago), I'm going to look for somewhere other than Gallows. Would appreciate in-put from you or others. Thanks much!
Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:01 PM

We put all our friends at Gallows. Units 1 through 8 off season.1 thru 5 in season.

In season the units directly across from ZOzo's get the noise...

We have guests dine at Stone Terrace for award winning food and wine list, Panini for the best sunsets and awesome northern italian, La tapa for everything, Fishtrap for seafood, joe's BBQ for amazing BBQ cheap across from psot office...all short walks from Gallows---

Zozo's also changed chef's from founding chef "scotty" to another.

Caneel has new executive chef Alex Chen who's food is great!

Same for Westin St. John--new chef and great food.

Come back!

Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks, Publisher: In fact, we're in Unit 3 (I'd forgotten), so I assume that'll be fine noise-wise. I do hope the new chef at Caneel is good-- my husband and I both thought the food was pretty medicore two years ago. (But, ah, the beaches and the snorkeling!)
Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM

hey publisher (and others please chime in), which restaurants would be suitable with a 2.5yr old?

good to hear that the Westin and Caneel have new, terrific chefs as we'll be visiting both in late October
Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM

2.5 year old???

humm....westin can handle it...

Avoid la tapa, stone terrace, Panini....

FISHTRAP rstaurant across from Wharfside village in cruz bay.. would be perfect!
ASk chef owner Aaron to do a Sesame street "Bert and Ernie" routine !

THere's a pizza shop at Wharfside Village too...

Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:45 PM

Bluefan, for casual food, if i recall right, are children's menu selection sandwiches at Deli Grotto in Cruz Bay's Mongoose Jct. Good food--eg sandwiches, light fare-- for all ages--tables outside or inside with AC! Also at Mango Deli in Westin Resort's shops area, where they will pack picnic lunch in a cooler you can take to the pool or out for the day.
I listed some favs on my TR. Since we were usually with small children, including 4 yr old, all listed would be appropriate for your 2.5 yr old.
If you can, drive out one day to Haulover, and have a simple lunch at Vie's--her 2 yr old grandson may be there to play with your little one. It's a different island feel from Westin or Caneel. You can also use Vie's family beach across the road. It was lovey-- on my list for next visit!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO