resort for 18-20 year olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a trip with our 2 daughters ages 18 and 20. looked at adult- only resorts to avoid tons of little kids but these all seem geared to couples and honeymooners. Does anyone know of resorts that run more toward older kids/late teens? We will consider anywhere in Carribbean or Mexico. Would prefer all-inclusive and within 3hr flight of philly as we plan to go for 4 nights. Thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:25 AM

If you are flying from Philly, you need to look for places that USAirways flies to direct. Generally, adults-only resorts cater to couples. The number of kids present in a regular AI would vary depending on the season, and you don't say when you're going. If you're going for Easter, expect tons of kids everywhere. Between Easter and the end of school, there will be fewer families. In the summer, kids will be everywhere except the adults-only resorts.

What I'd actually recommend is that you avoid the AI entirely. I'm a little old-fashioned, but I simply don't think 18 and 20 year-olds need to be drinking to excess, and that's what older teens tend to do when they go on these resorts and, frankly, what the AI experience encourages.

If you had some other kind of criteria, I'd be able to give you some more pointed advice. If you can identify a particular island or destination in Mexico you are considering, I'd take a shot, but with the entire Caribbean in consideration, I can only give general advice.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

definitely want to stick with AI. My kids will NOT be drinking- we are going with them so this is not a free-for-all spring break kind of thing. I can tell you we want to go over Memorial Day weekend. As for where--Riviera Maya, Grand Cayman, maybe Jamaica( we've already been to the Ritz-Carlton on an AI package),--looking for suggestions so we're pretty open as to where we go. thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:58 AM

There are no AIs on Grand Cayman, so that island is out, but it's one of the very few islands without this option.

The Riviera Maya has some very nice resorts, and it gets you out of the direct line of fire of Cancun but does require kind of a long drive after arrival. As I said, though, virtually every Caribbean island is a possibility. You really have to look at the places you can fly to nonstop from Philly and come back with some ideas and plans of your own. Once you settle on a general location for your trip, we can make some better suggestions.

Unfortunately, since you are going for Memorial Day, I can assure you that most of the big non-adult-only resorts will be inundated with kids.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM

hi again terric, the reef resort on grand cayman has an all-in program. it is on the east end, not on seven mile beach - in fact about 45 min drive. not a big active resort - has all condo style rooms, good beach with good on site snorkeling: http://www.thereef.com/en/index.html

i still think an ai near playa del carman would suit you. there are tons, large & small. some of the larger ones have "nightclubs" devoted to under 21's to party and not consume alcohol. a very good friend has taken her 2 kids in their late teens to several. i will email her tonight and ask which ones had teen clubs.
i advise near playa as it's central to all the to do stuff and playa is a fun town for shopping, restaurants, etc. if you look at www.locogringo.com you'll find info on what's there. it's an excellent site! they will help with trip planning if asked - you could tell them your dates & criteria and they'll send you a list of what's available.

another option is wyndham sugar bay on st. thomas. easy flt, ai, ok beach with snorkeling - on the east (quieter end) of the island. or you could try bolongo bay resort. it's on the south side and has kind of a fun atmosphere.

an easy site to check for flights is kayak.com
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM

my friend replies:
'The Catalonia in Puerto Adventuras was wonderful, that's where we took eleven seniors for their senior week....lot's of fun.....Riu, there are five of them in Playa Del Carmen and they all share a disco!! Iberostar is also on the strip..."

http://cataloniarivieramayaresort.com/

https://www.riu.com/Riu/hotels.xhtml

iberostars in playa:
http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Riviera-...ml?pest=220093
http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Riviera-...ucan_3_70.html
there are 5 others nearby in playa paraiso.
hope this helps.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM

Take a look at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Aruba. They have an all-inclusive package. It is right on the beach and usually a lot of assorted ages - not just honeymooners or adults. There is a lot of activity on that part of the beach. Nonstop flight from Phily on USAirways.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM

Look at the Paradisus chain of AI. Not adult only, but not a ton of kids. Also not all honeymooners and couples.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM

I took my two teens to Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana,they loved it.